install from iso vs install on top of OS?

pmlearner

Jul 9, 2019
I'm doing my first install on remote machine. I need to find provider that let's me re-install server from a custom image (ie. proxmox) or need to install on top of a base OS. This seems possible:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Stretch

but is it recommended? Or do I misunderstand something?

If possible/recommended - what is the best base OS to use?

Any recommended dedicated/bare-metal providers that making installing from the official install image possible?

Thanks!

Our documentation makes this quite clear: "Using the provided ISO will get you started in just a few minutes, that’s why we recommend this method for new and existing users. Alternatively, Proxmox VE can be installed on top of an existing Debian system. This option is only recommended for advanced users (...)."

Our documentation makes this quite clear: "Using the provided ISO will get you started in just a few minutes, that’s why we recommend this method for new and existing users. Alternatively, Proxmox VE can be installed on top of an existing Debian system. This option is only recommended for advanced users (...)."

Thanks for your reply. I suppose my question should have been written as "If I am confident with advanced use (unix sysadmin in general), is the "install over debian" a bad idea? In short, how hard should I work to find a provider that allows install from the proxmox ISO versus just installing on top of debian (which can be done at a lot more providers). Is the debian option only harder because you have to go through the steps outlined in he wiki or are there other potential issues later on?

Thanks!

If I am confident with advanced use (unix sysadmin in general), is the "install over debian" a bad idea?
No. If you are confident you might save time by doing this instead of finding a hoster that lets you install the ISO.
Is the debian option only harder because you have to go through the steps outlined in he wiki
It's mainly that those steps bear potential for errors.
or are there other potential issues later on?
There should be no hidden surprises that suddenly arise when installing on top of Debian.

Reactions: pmlearner
In short, how hard should I work to find a provider that allows install from the proxmox ISO versus just installing on top of debian (which can be done at a lot more providers)

another thing to consider is, depending on what kind of solution you use for hosting (dedicated server, vps, etc.), you might get a KVM machine without nesting, so it might be impossible to run VMs and you may therefore be limited to using containers. ask your hosting provider if it's possible to run proxmox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!