install fail error

stlsaint

Oct 30, 2009
Hey folks, yep its me again. Im having a hard time getting proxmox back up and running. So i had a installation failure in which i couldnt start ANY containers. So i did a backup of everything and went at it for a re-install. But whenever i get to the first step of Installation where it says: "creating partitions"
I quickly fails with the following error:
Code:
unable to create volume group at /usr/bin/proxinstall line 537

Now i thought this meant that there was still some remnant install files from my old installation and i re-formated everything all over again and tried installing again and still failed with same error!
Any thoughts/ideas?

I would try zeroing the offending disk, or formatting to something else other than the filesystem you intend to use, then back to whatever you want it to be, just to be absolutely sure there isn't residue getting in the way.

I find it's often quicker to destroy & recreate a new array in a hardware RAID controller than to zero or reformat back and forth.

Other than that, I would look at the installation media.

Once I even had to blow out my optical drive (with compressed air) before I could install something, even though a LiveCD would boot this one CD wouldn't load a part of the installer properly until I did.

Ok, i figured something was "behind" from last install but i had deleted all partitions on the drives so i thought i was good. I will try deleting all drives again with zeroing and re-formating.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!