Install desktop and browser on Proxmox Host server?

hotwired007

Sep 19, 2011
UK
my test proxmox box is needed toto power a web-based dashboard connected to a screen.

It shouold only be short term but it would be useful rather than to blow my proxmox system away.

is there a tried/tested method to install a desktop and browser instance on the server? (i know its not recommended)

its an internal service and not accessing any external sites so security wont be an issue.

We also have good results from installing Gnome desktop on the server - it appears quite stable.

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot

adduser UserName

aptitude install gnome
aptitude install chrome

startx

Gnome is more heavyweight than other desktops but has plenty of functionality and works really well where you want Proxmox and GUI on a single box!

For users some 5+ years later wanting to do the same on the latest pve

I can report that tom's instructions worked for me with a clean pve 6.1 install without any issues.

Cyberco Ltd's instructions had several issues;
aptitube not a known command
startx not a known command

Reactions: nocin
For users some 5+ years later wanting to do the same on the latest pve

I can report that tom's instructions worked for me with a clean pve 6.1 install without any issues.

Thanks, good to know. Was just looking at moving my home Windows 10 Dev PC to ProxMox Host with Win10 as a VM, and it would be easier to run the gui access from the host.

Alternatively, I could just run a cheap nuc as a client.

working on latest Proxmox 7:

fix sources ( paid or free etc)

Code:
apt update
apt upgrade
adduser *USERNAME*
reboot
tasksel install desktop gnome-desktop
systemctl set-default graphical.target
reboot

working on latest Proxmox 7:

fix sources ( paid or free etc)

Code:
apt update
apt upgrade
adduser *USERNAME*
reboot
systemctl set-default graphical.target
reboot
Thank you for sharing. In case I will go that route again and try this I will let one know how it went for me

turns out that the realtec 2.5G Ethernet drivers (r8169 and others) are not getting the love they need on linux ;(.
I am plowing my way through with the
suggestion in the hopes I can get the wireless to work there

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!