Install Debian / Ubuntu problems

Richard-S

Jul 22, 2019
trying to install either OS in a Vm or container ,

I can install in a Vm Debian says booting from hard drive , uses up all ram and cpu and will sit there

Ubuntu boots , scan’s drives , dots move , but also just sits there

Not that good anymore with command lines , need a GUI installed so I can do some work on building and testing web server before I migrate from current setup to the new server

1st time working with Proxmox , would love to move 3 services to one server now , instead of 3

Thanks

Debian does not install a desktop by default, you have to select it manually during the installation, did you do that? If so, which one, if not did you try to hit enter in the console to log in (it is often blank until you hit enter)?

The Ubuntu dots issue sounds like a known problem with the default video selection, did you try changing to standard VGA or other video mode in the VM setup?

It would be helpful to have the output of "qm config <vmid>" or a screenshot of the hardware screen for the ones you are having trouble with.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!