Insert message header or footer?

Alan Williams

Mar 10, 2020
Does Proxmox Mail Gateway allow you to insert message headers or footers based on a condition/rule? Say an email from outside your organization, you can insert a message header that states "CAUTION: This is an EXTERNAL email. Proceed with CAUTION should this email contain a link or attachment!"

Does it allow you to modify the subject based off of these conditions as well? Say pre-pend "[EXTERNAL]" to the subject?

We are migrating from Exchange 2013, which has all of these features and we would like similar functionality.

Thanks in advance.

Does it allow you to modify the subject based off of these conditions as well? Say pre-pend "[EXTERNAL]" to the subject?

Yes, that is possible. But honestly, I would not modify the mail at the mail proxy and insert such things.

We are migrating from Exchange 2013, which has all of these features and we would like similar functionality.

Sorry, but Proxmox Mail Gateway is a mail proxy (not a mail and groupware server).

Ok, I understand that it's not a mail server, we are looking to use it for things such as my initial question and forward messages onto GMail. This feature isn't offered in GMail currently.

You indicated it was possible but didn't say how and suggested I modify the message at the mail proxy to insert such things, but Proxmox Mail Gateway is a mail proxy by your own admission.

I have looked at the documentation and I do not see anything in the rules that would allow this. Should I be looking somewhere else or not even consider Proxmox as a solution?

You indicated it was possible but didn't say how and suggested I modify the message at the mail proxy to insert such things,
You can add/modify arbitrary headers (as in rfc822) of a mail - e.g. you can modify the subject to include an '[EXTERNAL]' tag based on sender - with the rule system - see our reference documentation:
https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#pmg_mailfilter_action

You can also add a Disclaimer to the end of the message (also documented there)

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!