Input/output error during backup

asmar

Renowned Member
Nov 15, 2014
Hi all,

I'm getting the following error on a large VM (60+ GB) when trying to get a backup:

INFO: tar: ./lib64/libproc-3.2.8.so: Read error at byte 0, while reading 8192 bytes: Input/output error
INFO: tar: ./lib64/libdbus-1.so.3.4.0: Read error at byte 0, while reading 5120 bytes: Input/output error
INFO: tar: ./lib64/libpamc.so.0.82.1: Read error at byte 0, while reading 5120 bytes: Input/output error
INFO: Total bytes written: 46260623360 (44GiB, 47MiB/s)
INFO: tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
ERROR: Backup of VM 104 failed - command '(cd /mnt/vzsnap0/private/104;find . '(' -regex '^\.$' ')' -o '(' -type 's' -prune ')' -o -print0|sed 's/\\/\\\\/g'|tar cpf - --totals --sparse --numeric-owner --no-recursion --one-file-system --null -T -|lzop) >/mnt/pve/nasuk1/dump/vzdump-openvz-104-2015_03_07-01_16_52.tar.dat' failed: exit code 2
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

I removed part of the Input/output error but you can get the idea. Does the above error means that I've got issues with the hard drives?

Thanks

Thanks Dietmar.

How can I check if I'm actually running out of space on the LVM snapshot?

root@proxmox0:~# vgdisplay
--- Volume group ---
VG Name pve
System ID
Format lvm2
Metadata Areas 1
Metadata Sequence No 16
VG Access read/write
VG Status resizable
MAX LV 0
Cur LV 3
Open LV 3
Max PV 0
Cur PV 1
Act PV 1
VG Size 1.82 TiB
PE Size 4.00 MiB
Total PE 476029
Alloc PE / Size 471934 / 1.80 TiB
Free PE / Size 4095 / 16.00 GiB
VG UUID gB2OAl-cECT-k1QH-xzfH-KCP0-78U3-M0FuQt

Last edited:
You can try to observe snapshot usage with "lvs" while you run the backup. Also, you can simply set snapshot 'size' in /etc/vzdump.conf (try 4096)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!