Initramfs unpacking failed - ZSTD-compressed data is corrupt

batranikhil

May 1, 2024
Hi,

New to the PVE scene and just installed PVE 8.2 with xfce4 for GUI. The system was working fine for a day - created some containers and VMs for Home Assistant, Docker etc. - and was able to paly around with them.

Restarted and this error popped up in command line when restarting. Full error log in the pic attached. Not sure what's wrong - wondering if its an issue with my Hard disk. Its a 2TB 3.5 inch SATA disk.

New to all this so and any tips to resolve this would be appreciated.

Cheers,
NIMG_20240523_1104271.jpg

Try booting into systemrescuecd or similar and poke around, maybe rootfs needs an fsck

https://github.com/kneutron/ansitest/tree/master/proxmox

bkpcrit script could be used to back up your VM configs, etc to separate disk or NAS if you can at least still mount root R/O

Apart from that you're probably looking at a reinstall - and maybe replacing the disk. Check SMART stats and do a SMART long test or a badblocks r/o test

I am seeing the same issue on a fresh install on a Dell R330

- Installing PVE 8.2 ISO = Kernal Panic on boot (post install)
- Installing Debain 12 (fine) and then installing latest PVE = Kernal Panic on boot (post install)
- Installing PVE 8.1 ISO = WORKS FINE
- Upgrading PVE from 8.1 to 8.2 = Kernal Panic on boot

@batranikhil can you try to download the PVE 8.1 ISO http://download.proxmox.com/iso/proxmox-ve_8.1-2.iso and see if you can interact with it all ok?

This is starting to sound like maybe a web mirror is hosting corrupt files, I wonder if both of you have the same one in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ ?

I am getting the same error message when trying to install the current iso
Proxmox VE 8.2 ISO Installer
Version8.2-1
File Size1.39 GB
Last UpdatedApril 24, 2024
SHA256SUMd99d182a0df4ba94c27668d3e33d14cc286d775a7bdf571a86c24ea522009e93

I am trying to reinstall over an existing install as i cannot find a solution to hanging after power loss.

I'm getting this same error after upgrading to the latest version through the console

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!