Initial Network Config

nexusguy59

Jan 6, 2014
Ohio
www.rpihobby.us
Hello Everyone,

I have a pretty complex network for a HomeLAB but the reason I do it is because I am in forever learning mode. So the other day my second router crapped out on me and instead of buying a new unit I saw a video on installing pfSense/OPNsense and OpenWRT in a VM and using that for my router on my Office/Computer Room/Upstairs network. So I went to the shell to look and the interfaces file after I added a second nic to the mix. So what happend I got it installed and I was able to configure it and I thought it was working, to no avail lol That's what I get for thinkin'.......

Here is the contents of the interfaces file:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto enx00e04c680150
iface enx00e04c680150 inet manual <- Noticed this

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/24
gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4092

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual <- Noticed this as well. Is this right? The one above and this one both being manual?
bridge-ports enx00e04c680150
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

The reason I ask is the vmbr0 is getting the proper WAN addy and I changed the LAN (vmbr1) to be the same as my vlan aware switch. So my question is do I have this config wrong or is my switch config wrong? Is the is vmbr0 set up as a trunk and should I make the port it's connected on a trunk port? I have no clue I am not a network guy unfortunately.

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited:
That config looks fine. Just don't forget to set the VLAN tag for each virtual NIC, in case that guest should be part of a specific VLAN.

One last question if you don't mind, Is this supposed to be a trunk port:

1671088380111.png
I am assuming this is where you are speaking of when you say don't forget the VLan tag right?

Sorry I am not real good at networking,
Thanks again,
Michael

Try to set
iface enx00e04c680150 inet manual

to
iface enx00e04c680150 inet dhcp

If you have a own dhcp server where you set up the IP of your server with MAC included, then the DHCP server gives the static IP. If you have a normal router, than you will get every time another IP from your router.

Try to set
iface enx00e04c680150 inet manual

to
iface enx00e04c680150 inet dhcp

If you have a own dhcp server where you set up the IP of your server with MAC included, then the DHCP server gives the static IP. If you have a normal router, than you will get every time another IP from your router.
Thank you for that but it is plugged into a switch that doesn't have dhcp right now per this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdoBQNI_Ab8

One last question if you don't mind, Is this supposed to be a trunk port:
I'd compare this setting with an Access Port, not a Trunk Port. All the packets your VM sends or recieves are untagged, and Proxmox adds/removes them accordingly.

In other words, your VM does not know that it is inside this VLAN (which is the way it should be).

I'd compare this setting with an Access Port, not a Trunk Port. All the packets your VM sends or recieves are untagged, and Proxmox adds/removes them accordingly.

In other words, your VM does not know that it is inside this VLAN (which is the way it should be).
Got ya thanks for that makes perfect sense.

All the packets your VM sends or recieves are untagged, and Proxmox adds/removes them accordingly.
Unless you keep that "VLAN Tag" text field empty. Then PVE will not add/remove tags and that virtual NIC got access to every packet, tagged and untagged. Then the guest has to work with tagged vlans (like you might want it when working with a pfsense/OPNsense VM).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!