Initial installation: file system setup advise needed

cosmos

Renowned Member
Apr 1, 2013
Hello,

back in the day I used to utilize LVM for storage. A couple of PVE hosts I've setup were nothing special regarding their hardware and articles regarding file system format seemed to advise using LVM for a variety of reasons.

Now I've got a one year old Proliant DL360 Gen 10 with two 480Gb SSDs in a hardware RAID mirror, with the controller being a HPE SmartArray P408i-a SR Gen10. The system also includes a 4Tb volume comprised from 3 disks in hardware RAID5, with the same RAID hardware controller.

I know that PVE has evolved a lot and now includes ZFS as an option. However I'm clueless as to when ZFS or another file system type is recommended. Any help provided will be appreciated.

It depends on what kind of storage you want to use, block (raw images) or file storage (qcow2 images).
If you want block storage you can take zfs with zvols (p408i in hba mode) or otherwise your hw-raid5 with lvm (without a filesystem).
If you want file storage again zfs (p408i in hba mode) or hw-raid5 with ext4, btrfs or xfs ontop. I prefere the last but everybody has it's own favorite and all variants are working.

Last edited:
Reactions: cosmos
I'm gonna have a Windows Server 2022 as well as a Linux VM for starters (not much, I know). Would you prefer to set these up with block or with file storage?

And what about the PVE boot disk setup? ZFS-something or something else?

As said before I would take file storage in xfs as the file handling is so easy like cp, mv etc, take reflink copies as snapshots, cp them etc.
The "pve default" is to use block in lvm or since zfs available zvols but for me I don't like much the handling of blocks.
As boot setup I prefere a hw-raid1 with xfs also. If you want zfs mirror don't take not-enterprise ssd's as the pve db eat them.
Single disk to boot is possible but you got bunch of work to your environment if broken.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!