Information about advanced storage pools

julianweber

Jul 30, 2009
I found a reference to the new advanced storage pools being ready for beta next month in this thread...
http://www.proxmox.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9500#poststop

Can anyone shed some light on what all this will support?

In particular, I am looking for something like DRDB support so I can create a cluster using shared local storage. Is this coming down the pipe or just a pipe dream.

Julian

I guess what I was wondering is if the "Advanced storage pools" feature in the upcoming version would allow me to create a cluster of two Proxmox VE servers, Server A and Server B. On Server A, I would like to set up a couple of virtual machines and have their storage mirrored to server B for disaster failover. Likewise, I would like to have a couple of virtual machines running on Server B and have their storage replicated to Server A for the same failover purposes. I would like the configuration to be managed through the web GUI, but if that is not possible at least have it so that an upgrade to a newer version doesn't break the DRBD configuration.

Julain

I guess what I was wondering is if the "Advanced storage pools" feature in the upcoming version would allow me to create a cluster of two Proxmox VE servers, Server A and Server B. On Server A, I would like to set up a couple of virtual machines and have their storage mirrored to server B for disaster failover. Likewise, I would like to have a couple of virtual machines running on Server B and have their storage replicated to Server A for the same failover purposes.

Replicating data with DRBD is no problem (some people already do that with the current version). Automatic failover is another problem - we will use corosync/pacemaker, but that feature will take a while.

I would like the configuration to be managed through the web GUI,

that is not planned

but if that is not possible at least have it so that an upgrade to a newer version doesn't break the DRBD configuration.

We will not break existing DRBD configuration.

Replicating data with DRBD is no problem (some people already do that with the current version).

Sorry for my interruption, but can anybody tell me what i have to do to realize such a setup? my problem is that proxmox cluster wants to move the virtual machnine files during motion - but the files on destination node already exists. and after transfer, the source files will be deleted. any hints or howtos?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!