Increase storeage of Local directory

Keith Miller

Aug 12, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
I have a R610 server with with a 1TB drive install and would like to increase the Local directory size right now it shows 59.98% (56.38Gib of 93.99Gib) how can this be done, without loosing data

Keith

If you have an 1TB Drive installed, where is the other Space?
I tought there is a missunderstanding, you have to store the VMs in the extra Partition / Folder (depending on what you choose at the installtion) and not in the first Partition / LVM where PVE is installed. There are 100GB for PVE, ISO and Templates are more then enough. But do not store VMs or CTs there.

move the machines to the LVM-thin storage pool. It's best this way because starting with proxmox 5.0 i think the storage pool is no longer mounted in /var/lib/vz/ it's just a simple mount on the root device. if you will move you machines drives, you will increase the root partition drive space. The storage Pool is a LVM-thin pool, so best use that. By the way, how did you install the machines in the root drive ? you have in the Web management the LVM-pool accesible from the start....

You should need to learn the basics about Linux.

You will see the different storages in the left side of PVE or you can check it in the shell with "df - h".

move the machines to the LVM-thin storage pool. It's best this way because starting with proxmox 5.0 i think the storage pool is no longer mounted in /var/lib/vz/ it's just a simple mount on the root device. if you will move you machines drives, you will increase the root partition drive space. The storage Pool is a LVM-thin pool, so best use that. By the way, how did you install the machines in the root drive ? you have in the Web management the LVM-pool accesible from the start....

I just let the install take care of space allocation.
how do I move the VM's into the LVM-thin storage pool?

give us a screen shot of your storage that you have in your server. we can help you if we see this.

you should have access to the LVM - /dev/sda3 - it should be mounted in Webmanagement as LVM-Thin. As far as i see it's a simple install, no problem regarding the storage. See in Storage that your LVM is active, and it should show up as storage when you want to move your disk with the move disk option in the VM.

So do I Stop the VM, then goto Hardware, select Hard Disk and at the top select Move Disk, then in the drop down Target Sorage select Local-lvm and the VM will hopefully come back on line when I start it.

Do I also select Delete Source

If this is the fix I wonder why the developer don't make this the default method, the install was very straight forward and I don't remember seeing the ability to change the size of Local directory

You do not have to stop the VM, the Storage Migration is an Online feature. AFAIK you have to convert the disk to raw Format for LVM-Thin. And for this its good, do use scsi instead of virtio to have the Discard Option, there you can use fstrim in the VM itself and save space.

You do not have to stop the VM, the Storage Migration is an Online feature. AFAIK you have to convert the disk to raw Format for LVM-Thin. And for this its good, do use scsi instead of virtio to have the Discard Option, there you can use fstrim in the VM itself and save space.

How do I convert the disk to raw and the scsi you talking about is called VirtlO SCSI

If this is the fix I wonder why the developer don't make this the default method
I have 6 different Storages enabled in my PVE Setup (1x RBD, 1x Directory, 1x LVM Thin and 3x NFS Shares). Now, how should the devs know which Storages i will add or use as default? Correct, it is not possible because its depend on the requirements i have. Every User has other requirements and every user has to check it itself - so that's definitely not an dev part.

How do I convert the disk to raw and the scsi you talking about is called VirtlO SCSI
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Migration
There you can change it, but AFAIK LVM Thin are not able to use any other Format so it will changed to raw automatically, so there you do not have anything to do.

To change the Bus Type you have to unmount the Disk and mount it again as "SCSI" instead of "VirtIO Block". Then enable the Checkbox "Discard" too and add it again. It might be possible your VM will not boot anymore because the dev Naming in the VM itself will change from vda to sda, but this is only a little change in the fstab to fix it.

Being RAW does not make an impact in the long run. it's the fastest storage available format, it's quick and you can make backups, it compresses the files with lzo or gz . So if you move it to RAW in the LVM-thin it's not a problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!