Inconsistent SSL error (routines:: wrong version number)

Nov 7, 2023
I am currently setting up a Proxmox Backup Server (PBS) to store my Proxmox Virtual Environment (PVE) backups.

When I tried to add the PBS as a new storage location, I encountered the following error:
Code:
create storage failed: pbs1: error fetching datastores - 500 Can't connect to pbs1.example.com:8007 (SSL connect attempt failed error:0A00010B:SSL routines::wrong version number) (500)

Initially, I thought this might be due to using a self-signed certificate. So, I purchased and installed a proper SSL certificate via the GUI. However, the same error persisted.

Interestingly, after seeing the error message a few times, if I click 'Add' again, the server eventually adds the remote storage without any issues. But when attempting to write a backup, the same error occurs. If I try to initiate the backup a few more times, it eventually works. This behavior makes it impossible to get scheduled backups working, because this set-up requires manual retries to succeed.

Extra hint:
Sometimes when I try to access the web GUI after a long time, I get an 'SSL Protocol Error' in my browser. Similar to the previous issue, a few refreshes resolve the problem.

Last edited:
do you have any firewall/reverse proxy or similar in front of the pbs? it seems like something is interfering with the tls connection

do you have any firewall/reverse proxy or similar in front of the pbs? it seems like something is interfering with the tls connection
Nope, just port-forwarded port 8007 on the router to the server with a plain install of PBS.

I also thought it could be my UFW so I disabled that using $: ufw disable
Made no difference...

EDIT:
UFW was apparently still running
, so I disabled it and rebooted the machine. It seems to be working for now, but I will check it again tomorrow because sometimes the results are very inconsistent.

If this really fixes the issue permanently, then my question would be: why is UFW causing this strange behavior? My rules are nothing special, only this:

Code:
To                         Action      From
--                         ------      ----
Anywhere                   ALLOW       192.168.0.0/16      
Anywhere                   ALLOW       <MY_REMOTE_NETWORK>/30

Last edited:
Update:
After disabling the firewall it got a lot better. Before, every scheduled backup was failing. Now, only 2 out of the 100 back-ups failed due to the same error. Don't know why it still happens sometimes but I could live with these results.

IMO this indicates that something is not quite right with the network packages and it seems that something introduces errors in them, but i cannot really say what that would be (maybe it's just a hardware issue like a broken nic/cable?)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!