Inconsistent hostname sorting

kyriazis

Oct 28, 2019
Austin, TX
Hello Proxmox,

I would like to request a feature which is very useful in large clusters. We have a cluster with 33 nodes and way too many containers to count by hand (about 100).

In the Server View, nodes are sorted by hostname, while in the Pool View containers and VMs are listed by VM/CT ID. This convention follows also in the Folder View.

This different sorting is inconsistent, and it's quite inconvenient when one is looking for a particular VM/CT name. It would be nice, for example, if the Pool View could be sorted by various fields. Things that come in mind is hostname, ethernet address, IP address, status (up/down), host machine hostname, # of CPUs, architecture, OS type, etc.

Likewise, it would be useful if in the Server View, nodes can be sorted by various fields. Field that come in mind, again, is hostname, corosync nodeid, IP address, status (up/down), maybe even node cpu/mem usage, etc.

Yes, I can look at the cluster nodes listed by Nodeid in the Datacenter -> Cluster view, however the pane that lists the nodes is not scrollable, and when you have many nodes, you can't see all of them.

Thank you for considering this in a future release.

George

In the Server View, nodes are sorted by hostname, while in the Pool View containers and VMs are listed by VM/CT ID. This convention follows also in the Folder View.
I am not sure if you realized this:

Inside Pool View --> Datacenter --> $Poolname --> Members you can activate the display of a separate "VMID" and a "Name" column (and disabling the now useless combined column). There are 28 field to select from, including "Node" bit not "IP address". Simple click on the "Menu" Item in the header cell of any existing column and select "Columns".

Then you can sort for these by clicking the header in the table :)

Perhaps this helps...

Thanks. I couldn't find where you pointed, but I looked in the Search tab (in any view), you can sort with various columns and search, so it good enough for my use.

It's still inconsistent, though, to sort (by default) the nodes alphabetically and the VM/CTs by ID. :)

Thanks for the pointers!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!