Inconsistent Disk I/O

t3dc0x

Jun 23, 2023
Hi there,

I'm trying to get a VM to run video editing software in MacOS (Resolve and FCPX). I've sorted a host of problems related to disk I/O such that the burst rate looks impossibly high to me, and yet, it still bogs down to completely frozen every few seconds. I thought this was an IO Delay issue, but it looks to me like the IO Delay meter does not hit consistently with the slow downs.

I've attempted this many different ways from a CT holding the array with a network share to MacOS to ZFS to the current config which is just a straight RAID10 fed to MacOS where it was formatted.

The array itself is just 4x 4TB NAS Drives.

My goal is read and write speeds that hit consistently above 250 MB/s. 500 MB/s is ideal. Anything over that is just gravy. But consistency is the key. If I'm scrubbing video and the I/O suddenly freezes, it's not helping me. :)

Here's a video showing Black Magic Speed Test. It shows incredible numbers and terrible ones. Up and down. Read is more consistent than Write, but both are suffering. (I clipped this video to keep it short, so it doesn't show a lot of the issue, but it gives you a sense of the range -- Speeds are going between 50 MB/s and 4000 MB/s)

So far, I've tried pinning the CPUs (since this is an i5-12600K with both P & E cores -- I've pinned only P cores to the VM). This improved bursts, but didn't help with IO Delay. I get good speeds from fio, but unless I miss my guess, it would not show the odd "freezes" I'm seeing in Black Magic Speed Test unless I happened to run it at just the right moment.

Controller is set to VirtIO SCSI and caching is default. I'm on PVE 7.4-17 because I understand there are still issues with modern MacOS clients on 8+.

What am I missing? Is this just impossible?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!