Inactive network ports

juju01

May 16, 2020
I am having a problem accessing my pfsense install on my proxmox host. I am showing the port is not active even though when I connect my laptop to it the dhcp server on pfsense assigns an ip address . The vm seems to be working but i cant access the pfsense gui. I have set my laptop to a static ip in the same network as the pfsense port and still cant connect .

Some detail: I am not using the linux bridge. I setup a PCI passthrough to the pfsense vm. it seems to be working well.

Any ideas how I can get the port active?

pfsense 2.png

pfsense 1.png

Last edited:
Hi,

as you say you are using a virtual function of this nics.
So if you start the host will not see anymore the nic because it is the property of the VM.
This is why you do not see in the GUI that is active.
More interesting is the master port state what handles the phys layer.
You have to manage the virtual function in the pfsense and not at Proxmox VE level.

Hi Wolfgang

I thought I should be able to assign the virtual functions directly to each vm as a pci device in the network the proxmox host? Can't do that in pfsense.

You get me wrong.
Yes a VF is a virtual network device that is pass-through as a PCIe device as you do.
But if you do this the VF is no more managed by the host.
Because it is inside the VM. So you can't see the state of the VF on the host.

I don't know if PFsense has driver support for intel VF.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!