[SOLVED] In VM, I constantly lose the VNC connection (Console)

WhiteTiger

May 16, 2020
Italy
I launch a VM, for example to configure the Debian installation; I work for some time, but then I lose the connection in VNC console.
My mouse moves, but not the mouse inside the console.
I have to click again, more than one, and wait several seconds to see "Connecting" and go back to an operating console.
This happens both when there is a graphical screen in the console, and when there is a character screen, such as the Linux VM console.
This happens to me all the time; during the last session I counted more than 20 connection losses in less than 10 minutes.
There seems to be some timeout that doesn't check if I'm working in the console.
For example I lost the connection after I finished typing the username and while I was typing the password.
It becomes impossible to work in Proxmox like this.

This is the server information.
CPU (s) 24 x Intel (R) Xeon (R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz (2 Sockets)
Kernel Version Linux 5.11.22-5-pve # 1 SMP PVE 5.11.22-10 (Tue, 28 Sep 2021 08:15:41 +0200)
PVE Manager Version pve-manager / 7.0-13 / 7aa7e488

The server memory is 64GB and the problems occurred during the launch of the only VM present with 2 sockets, 2 cores, 2 vcpus, 4GB RAM, ISO for Debian 11 installation.

hi,

can you reproduce this behavior with other browsers?

have you tried using SPICE? [0]

are you experiencing connection issues otherwise?

does it happen only on this VM?

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/SPICE

On the server there is only this VM and after the problems encountered during the installation of Debian 11, I am now encountering them again with the VM started, obviously with Debian server in terminal mode.
The VM started at 15:41:54 and at 15:58:13 I already count 12 interruptions as reported in the Proxmox task list, below.

Tried with Chrome, Opera, Edge and Firefox (All in private mode) and all crash for no reason.
I don't know Spice. I will try to install it.

I don't think it's a browser issue because it reports the VNC console freezing even while I'm not working in the browser.
If I select the "Summary" window and after a few minutes I go to the console again, other blocks that occurred while I was not working on it are reported.

=== Update ===
In my opinion this "timeout" is more a server problem than a console problem.
If I go to Datacenter/Summary, it sometimes takes a few seconds for the screen to refresh.

=== Update 2 ===
Now I have 4 VMs and always the same problem.

If, on the other hand, I am working in the server shell, losing the connection I am forced to reopen it.

Furthermore I didn't understand how to connect with Spice.
I have installed Virt-Viewer on Win10.
Then when I connect with spice: //192.168.100.10: 8006, I get the error "Could not connect to the graphics server spice: //-192.168.100.10: 8006"

Last edited:
The shell also crashes.
If I comment the lines created for the vmbrs in Interfaces the shell starts working again, but obviously the VMs don't.
I close the post because the problem is with the network configuration. I reopen a separate post.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!