Improve speed of qm importovf

martind

Aug 3, 2020
Hi all,

Trying to run an qm importovf from a NAS (1gb, no network congestion) but it's taking forever. The source file is 132GB (so quite large) but even then, I left it running over night (almost 24 hours now) and it had only completed 15% of the import. The source machine/host is entirely SSD based too, importing to local_lvm.

Is there any way to run this faster? My plan is to move everything away from ESXi entirely but this really puts a spanner in the works.

Thanks.

Hi,

this seems really long to me, too. There are not many options to tweak, however. You would have benchmark your source & target storage as well as the network connection and then compare to how fast all those things are during the import to get an idea of what's going wrong.

It might help to track the problem down if you first copy the files from your NAS to some local storage, if you have a big enough one, and then importovf from that local storage to your local-lvm.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!