Importing VM from proxmox 1.8

Paolo C.

May 11, 2016
Hello everyone!
I have a working proxmox 1.8 installation with one VM (linux) running on it.
I'm preparing another identical physical machine with new VE 4.2 installed from scratch where I would like to import the 1.8 VM and make it work as a swap server in case of 1.8 machine failure.

So, I've already retrieved the vm-110-disk-1.vmdk file from the 1.8 environment, now I'm trying to copy it on the new machine but I don't know where and how to make it work. "qemu-img info" tells that is already in raw format, but what I'm supposed to do now? Where do I put the image and how do I hook it on the VM configuration?
Thank you.

1. Create a empty VM on your new 4.2 host, use suitable settings (for the imported one), using local storage and vmdk
2. Replace the virtual disk: copy the 1.8 VM to /var/lib/vz/images/VMID/vm-110-disk-...

1. Create a empty VM on your new 4.2 host, use suitable settings (for the imported one), using local storage and vmdk
2. Replace the virtual disk: copy the 1.8 VM to /var/lib/vz/images/VMID/vm-110-disk-...

thank you. actually I had to create another directory-type local storage because when creating the empty VM I could only select the local-lvm storage.
done that I've copied the vmdk file but when starting the machine I got a "START FAILED" error...
EDIT: renaming the file from vmdk to raw did the trick.

Being the image copied from another hardware, do I have to set something for the network interfaces? I cannot ping the VM machine...

Last edited:
thank you. actually I had to create another directory-type local storage because when creating the empty VM I could only select the local-lvm storage.

you just need to enable virtual disk storage for the already configured directory storage (var/lib/vz).

done that I've copied the vmdk file but when starting the machine I got a "START FAILED" error...

Being the image copied from another hardware, do I have to set something for the network interfaces? I cannot ping the VM machine...

depends on the guest OS.

you just need to enable virtual disk storage for the already configured directory storage (var/lib/vz).

depends on the guest OS.

the guest OS is a linux machine. It has 2 eth interfaces (as the physical server). on the VM I have configured the two eth with auto MAC setting. do I have to set something on the linux guest OS?

the guest OS is a linux machine. It has 2 eth interfaces (as the physical server). on the VM I have configured the two eth with auto MAC setting. do I have to set something on the linux guest OS?

Linux machine is a bit too general to give detailed answer but yes, you need to adapt the changed host MACs inside.

Linux machine is a bit too general to give detailed answer but yes, you need to adapt the changed host MACs inside.

it's an ubuntu 9.10.
doing ifconfig I see the two interfaces with the updated MAC address, the same values as configured on the VM configuration, but cannot ping. could it be something else to set up?
thank you.

EDIT: I've solved by swapping the vbmr's between the two eth on the VM configuration.
Thank you for you support.

Last edited:
take a look into:

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

maybe you can fix your network trouble by correcting this file (or remove it and reboot).

how do you do that? the default "local" storage is already enabled (the only thing non enabled is "shared") but I can't select it if a create a new VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!