Importing VM from ESXi 5.1

WaelS

May 25, 2021
Hi
My installation is for home use and I am completely new to Proxmox. I have a Windows 8.1 machine with 2 virtual HDDs. I exported them to OVF which generated 4 files:
- Win8-DS1.mf
- Win8-DS1.ovf
- Win8-DS1-disk1.vmdk
- Win8-DS1-disk2.vmdk

From my windows machine, I created a folder Uploads on the root directory, then I used WinSCP to upload all of the above to the Uploads folder.
I then used the commands below to upload the files.
Code:
qm importdisk 100 Win8-DS1-disk1.vmdk local-lvm -format qcow2
qm importdisk 100 Win8-DS1-disk2.vmdk local-lvm -format qcow2

I then deleted the existing HDD from my newly created Proxmox VM with ID 100 and added those 2 virtual HDDs to it. I tried SCSI, SATA and IDE. None of them boots up. I even reversed which one is HDD0 and which is HDD1. I also made sure that the drives are setup in the boot order.

What am I missing? I figured I have to import something from the ovf file, but not sure if that is correct and how to do it.

Any help is appreciated. As I mentioned this is for home setup so I can't afford a subscription.
Thanks

PS: My setup was inspired by the link below

https://www.itsfullofstars.de/2019/...ontains the VM definition,the vm disk (vmdk).

Last edited:
Hi,

your are almost there :)
Upload your files you have got from VMware to the Proxmox host and run this command in the directory:
qm importovf 100 Win8-DS1.ovf local-lvm --format qcow2

This command creates a new VM with the ID 100 and imports the referenced vmdk disk from the .ovf file to your local-lvm storage as qcow2 format.

Windows needs additional drivers to use SCSI, so at the moment use SATA for your HDD.

Proxmox docs to migrate from VMware: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE#VMware

Greetz

Hi,

both importovf and importdisk should work. Roughly, importovf = (create VM + importdisk).

Remark: The parameter qcow2 on (thin) LVM storages will be ignored in importovf & importdisk. For (thin) LVM storages Proxmox VE only supports raw images.

Have you tried changing BIOS/UEFI for the VM already?
Could you please post your VM configuration?
Code:
qm config 100

Last edited:
Reactions: fluxX04
I tried the command that fluxX04 suggested, but I initially had issues, so I decided to delete the VM completely and use his command again with no VM. This time it worked and it mounted the drives automatically. Now when I try to start the machine, I get what looks like a Windows 10 logo in the beginning with the loading circle and everything and then it stops with the error "Can't connect to server".

I tried to change the bios from SeaBios to OVMF, but that didn't even start.
Dominic, I am not sure what you mean by changing the BIOS/UEFI. Do you mean what I just mentioned or actually go inside the proxmox bios configuration and make changes? If it was the latter I am not sure what to do.

I tried a third time and this time it launched Windows Automatic Repair and I got the attached screen.

Code:
Last login: Tue May 25 20:28:00 EDT 2021 on pts/0
Linux pve 5.4.106-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.4.106-1 (Fri, 19 Mar 2021 11:08:47 +0100) x86_64

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
root@pve:~# qm config 100
boot: order=scsi0
cores: 1
memory: 8192
name: Windows81-DS1
scsi0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0
scsi1: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-1
smbios1: uuid=309425c8-2567-4e25-9240-c88f2647d2ca
vmgenid: 2cc790d3-54e0-4c35-b92b-0124b853548d

Attachments

• image_2021-05-25_213645.png
    image_2021-05-25_213645.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 4
Hi,

this is mostly because you are using SCSI for your HDD and windows cannot boot - try to detach, re-add the HDD with SATA again or use the command
sed -i 's/scsi/sata/g' /etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf - and start the VM again.
For SCSI you need the VirtIO drivers which you can install afterwards.

Greetz

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominic
Changing Seabios/OVMF is what i meant :)
@fluxX04's command should work

I detached, changed to SATA and restarted and I was able to see the login screen. I couldn't login, then I realized it didn't import my network card, so I added one. I still can't RDP into it, so I tried to login to windows from the console, but after 15-30 seconds, it crashes and turns off.
So at this point I get to the Windows login, but I can't actually login. The network icon in Windows seem to be there.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!