Importing to zfs pool from another server?

Oldsocks

Mar 1, 2018
Hello!

I'm trying to move a vm from a basic kvm server (running on redhat) to another host. I've set up the new host with zfs storage because later I want to add a second box and test migration and replication.

I have a vm on the old host that is held in a file server.img, on a regular file system. This old host has zfs installed but it's a bit broken. Is there an easy way to copy from this old system to the zfs store on the new system? I have ssh access to both hosts and obviously web interface access on the new host.

Many thanks in advance. And apologies if it is a dumb question; I have been looking through the docs and forums but in my current sleep deprived state I may have missed an obvious answer.

Last edited:
Hello!

Thank you for the reply. In the end I created a regular vollume using hardware raid and copied files over using scp. There are still two vms on the old host (not clustered, not running proxmox) so what I'll do in the future is a bit painful:

- move last two vms to new host
- rebuild old host using zfs
- cluster them
- move all vms to rebuilt host
- rebuild new host's storage as zfs
- migrate vm back

hopefully, it'll work. Might be able to get a nas with iscsi for the weekend and use it as shared storage which would make the whole thing less painful. We'll see.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!