importing rbd from another cluster

tim taler

Mar 8, 2018
Hi all,
I have a ceph/kvm cluster on debian buster with ceph octopus.
On it a bunch of vms which use rbd as storage backends.

I like to migrate those vms to an actual proxmox cluster.

I stopped the vm on the source side and then did:

Code:
sudo rbd export <name-of-rbd> - | zstd | ssh <proxmox-target-system> "unzstd | sudo rbd import - <name-of-rbd>"

then verified the checksum on both sides with:

Code:
sudo rbd export <name-of-rbd> - | xxhsum

Checksum does match.
But if I pick this rbd as the harddisk for a new machine I create in proxmox it failes to boot since it doesn't recognize any partition on the rbd (checked with using a netinst image as a resuce system).

Any hint would be appreciated!
TIA

Why not add the Ceph cluster as a storage to Proxmox?
Then you can create a VM without disks and attach the disk from the external cluster. After a 'move disk' the image is transferred to its new home. This way you can verify the boot of the VM with the old Ceph cluster as well.

Or a you use rbd-mirror to mirror the images onto the new cluster. But obviously this needs more configuration work.

Thank Alwin for your response.
Well in the old cluster I can start and stop the VM with no problem
(sudo virsh start <name>)

Is there a how-to for attaching an external octopus ceph cluster to proxmox?

but since the checksums of the rbds are matching on both sides ... would that really makes a difference?

Is there a how-to for attaching an external octopus ceph cluster to proxmox?
Just like any other RBD storage. :)
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesm.html#ceph_rados_block_devices

but since the checksums of the rbds are matching on both sides ... would that really makes a difference?
That's a "that depends". With the external storage, you do not export the image and can run the VM right of that storage. If that works, you can run a move disk (qemu-mirror). This doesn't involve the export/import and zstd compression. If the VM doesn't start at the first stage, then libvirt has some way to boot from the RBD image.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!