Importing QCOW disk image to my Proxmox host.

fasi74

Jun 24, 2021
I have imported a QCOW disk image to my Proxmox Virtual Environment 8.0.3 host, but when I follow the how-to guides available on the internet I am told to select the "Add existing HDD option, which I cannot find anywhere.
Please guide me, wish there was a tool available in the product to do this easily.

Kind Regards
Faisal Gillani

I have imported a QCOW disk image to my Proxmox Virtual Environment 8.0.3 host, but when I follow the how-to guides available on the internet I am told to select the "Add existing HDD option, which I cannot find anywhere.
Please guide me, wish there was a tool available in the product to do this easily.

Kind Regards
Faisal Gillani

On the Hardware manu for that VM, select "Unused Disk" and than ADD

MM

Well for starters the HDD is located in /root folder of the proxmox host, and the VM is running on a NAS, over the NFS protocol, which is mounted in /mnt/<nfssharename>

how to make it appear in the unused disk list ?

Well for starters the HDD is located in /root folder of the proxmox host, and the VM is running on a NAS, over the NFS protocol, which is mounted in /mnt/<nfssharename>

how to make it appear in the unused disk list ?
Please, post here the guide that you are following

Here is the Guide that I was following,

https://bobcares.com/blog/proxmox-attach-existing-disk-to-vm/

As for detail, I have setup a proxmox cluster that is currently running none production VMs & containers, which are stored in a centralized NAS (TrueNAS) on NFS share,

Everything is running fine, now I plan to move the VMs from my "other" Hypervisors to proxmox, so in order to do that I copied one VM disk file ( QCOW disk image) to one of my proxmox hosts (in a cluster) into /root folder.

Now I tried to create a new VM and import that file to it, but stuck.

Thanks

Place the QCOW2 disk image into /var/lib/vz/images/<vmid>/vm-<vmid>-disk-0.qcow2

Then add unused0: local:<vmid>/vm-<vmid>-disk-0.qcow2 to the /etc/pve/nodes/<node>/qemu-server/<vmid>.conf file.

The disk will then appear as unused on the hardware tab. The only thing left to do then is to add it by clicking Edit -> Add

Last edited:
Here is the Guide that I was following,

https://bobcares.com/blog/proxmox-attach-existing-disk-to-vm/

As for detail, I have setup a proxmox cluster that is currently running none production VMs & containers, which are stored in a centralized NAS (TrueNAS) on NFS share,

Everything is running fine, now I plan to move the VMs from my "other" Hypervisors to proxmox, so in order to do that I copied one VM disk file ( QCOW disk image) to one of my proxmox hosts (in a cluster) into /root folder.

Now I tried to create a new VM and import that file to it, but stuck.

Thanks

Have a look here
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!