Imported VM boot looping, how to fix?

nnraymond

Mar 7, 2022
I'm trying to set up a virtual appliance called Informacast Fusion and after importing it, it starts to go through the boot process then I guess crashes and the VM reboots, over and over. Here is the installation info from the maker (they only talk about VMWare):

https://documentation.singlewire.co...Appliance_Installation/Deploy_InformaCast.htm

I haven't seen this before with other VMs I've imported, which work fine. The commands I used to import are:

tar xvf Singlewire-Fusion-14.15.3_61645.ova
qm importovf 170 Singlewire-IF-14.15.3_61645.ovf r10zpool -format raw

Here are the hardware and options of the imported VM:

Fusion VM hardware.png
Fusion VM options.png

Without any error message, it cannot be debugged. I think you better ask in a forum that is about the guest OS / guest application.

Without any error message, it cannot be debugged. I think you better ask in a forum that is about the guest OS / guest application.
Agreed. Singlewire support says, "Please take a look at this document about our supported matrix-server-platforms. Proxmox is not supported." So looks like I'm going to be setting up VMware Workstation Player on a dedicated PC for this.

Yet that is also not supported. You could try to run ESXi inside of PVE and then the Singlewire VM in there.
I thought "VMware Linux Based Virtual Appliance" implied VMWare player... what does that mean I wonder?

Running ESXi inside Proxmox just seems silly to me... do people really do that? We could get their physical box (Intel Celeron N3160 1.6GHz quad core processor with 4GB of RAM and a 128GB solid state drive (SSD)) or I could install the free ESXi on a desktop PC just for this one appliance, which conceptually appeals to me than running ESXi inside Proxmox.

I thought "VMware Linux Based Virtual Appliance" implied VMWare player... what does that mean I wonder?

Running ESXi inside Proxmox just seems silly to me... do people really do that? We could get their physical box (Intel Celeron N3160 1.6GHz quad core processor with 4GB of RAM and a 128GB solid state drive (SSD)) or I could install the free ESXi on a desktop PC just for this one appliance, which conceptually appeals to me than running ESXi inside Proxmox.
I checked with Singlewire support again, and they said, "The Physical host would need to be running ESXI; running from within Proxmox would not be supported."

I checked with Singlewire support again, and they said, "The Physical host would need to be running ESXI; running from within Proxmox would not be supported."
Of course they say that.

Running ESXi inside Proxmox just seems silly to me... do people really do that?
Yes, we do that. We don't want to have a "real" machine around with VMware. We also virtualize Hyper-V and PVE inside of PVE.

e could get their physical box (Intel Celeron N3160 1.6GHz quad core processor with 4GB of RAM and a 128GB solid state drive (SSD)) or I could install the free ESXi on a desktop PC just for this one appliance, which conceptually appeals to me than running ESXi inside Proxmox.
ESXi is very picky when it comes to hardware. You may need an unsupported VMware setup just to boot the damn thing. I don't than that'll be supported than as well. Normally, the full stack has to be supported in order to get support.

Of course they say that.

Yes, we do that. We don't want to have a "real" machine around with VMware. We also virtualize Hyper-V and PVE inside of PVE.

ESXi is very picky when it comes to hardware. You may need an unsupported VMware setup just to boot the damn thing. I don't than that'll be supported than as well. Normally, the full stack has to be supported in order to get support.
An old Mac Mini (Late 2014 model) is on the official ESXi supported list, I suppose I could run it on that:

https://www.vmware.com/resources/co...nterval=10&sortColumn=CPUSeries&sortOrder=Asc

Try to reattach the vm dsik as IDE0 (and set it as boot medium in options), Machine Type i440fx 5.1 or earlier. Network Device to vmxnet3 (copy the mac address from the VM, where you originally imported from).
Usually you can get everything to work on Proxmox, what runs on x86 Architecture. Just play a bit with different VM hardware settings.
"Unsupported" usually means, that you can't ask for support, if you have any issues, not that is really not possible to run it on an unsupported hypervisor.

Reactions: _gabriel

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!