[SOLVED] Imported ESXi CentOS VM does not boot

telesteven

Aug 24, 2022
Hi.
I usually import ESXi VMs by exporting them and importing them via qm importovf which works fine with Debian based systems.
Unfortunately this does not work with CentOS systems. After import the VM hangs at "Booting from Hard Disk..."

Is there any way to get more information about what is the problem?

Thanks

For RHEL and derivatives, on the original VM run the following:

# dracut --force --verbose --no-hostonly

ive met this once but its the bios and uefi kind of problem you might look into that just for sure you got the same bios configuration between esxi and pve and also make sure you did the correct boot order;)

As far as I can see the bios is set to "EFI" on esxi. But setting Bios to "OVMF (UEFI)" in Proxmox does not solve the issue. When using ESC at boot in Proxmox Guest I even cannot see the disk

Ah ok, I got it. The procedure was much less convenient as I expected.
In short as reference for future me: Creating EFI Disk, detach disk, set to sata, set boot order to disk

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!