Import VMs

finlaydag33k

Apr 16, 2015
Hello, I'm using proxmox for about a year now, and my previous server died today.I already have a new server, and transplanted all parts needed (the harddrives with the VMs in particular), and installed it (not configured yet!)now how do I import those VMs into the new install?I don't want to lose any of the VMs on the drive

Just create a new VM with the name and spec of the old one. Then copy the original disk image over the one created when you setup the new VM

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Moving HDs is really a manual process. If your image location is on other physical drives from the proxmox install then:
If these were members of a raid array, you need to set them up with the exact kind of controller you had on the old server.
Once that is done, you need to mount the drives in the new server and add them to your /etc/fstab.

If your images were all stored in the default proxmox storage location, then I would move the physical drives from the old server to the new one and run as is, assuming that the raid is taken care of/configured. IF you already moved the drives over and reinstalled then I fear you may have overwritten your VMs unless you have backups stored elsewhere.

It's a short coming of proxmox that you cannot attach an existing disk file to a new or a running vm. I'm missing this too. My use case is importing raw disk files from VMWare to proxmox.

I tried to create a backup file from a raw disk file and a config file with the vma tool and than restoring this, but the tool is not creating the files properly. Once this is fixed this may be the way to go.

Edi

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!