Import vm in new Proxmox install

ivanpop

Jun 21, 2015
I recently switched to Proxmox, so I'm a complete beginner and for now everything works great. I have everything I need, but I'm looking for one more thing.
I'm afraid that there might be a power failure and Proxmox might stop working. Should I be afraid or Proxmox can survive things like that? I have a UPS so I will be safe from short power outages, but still.
I'm looking for a way to backup my VM to a remote location, reinstall Proxmox and import it back if something like this happens.
I edited the local storage so it can accept backups, but what type of backup should I use for this purpose? There is also an option for a snapshot and I can't figure out what's the difference and which one should I use. I don't care about downtimes, so that's not a problem.
After the backup has been done I will copy it to a remote location for safe keeping. In case of some major failure, I will reinstall Proxmox, copy the backup inside it's storage and restore it to a vm. Will this idea work?

Personally I use a combination of things - I use NUT to connect to my battery backup to issue shutdown commands to my proxmox servers if the battery backup runs low (to reduce the risk of a dirty shutdown). In terms of backup, I use the built in proxmox backup functionality to backup to an NFS server.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!