Import or convert Virtualbox image to Proxmox

robertico

Mar 9, 2013
I'm new to Proxmox and try to find a way to import or convert a Virtualbox image to Proxmox.
My Virtualbox image contains three files; .mf, .ovf and a .vmdk file.
So far i can't find a howto or tutorial. :confused:

Is there someone who can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Noticed the views but no hint so far.
Does this mean that it's not possible or just nobody has experience with this ;)
I keep hoping for a hint.

Thank you for your response.

I also found that one, but I couldn't find a reference to Virtualbox.
I miss something ?

Thank you for your response.

I also found that one, but I couldn't find a reference to Virtualbox.
I miss something ?

try the "clone-zilla" method - can be used for almost all scenarios.

You may also be able to just convert the disk image(s), either using Virtualbox tools or qemu (see the VMWare section on the wiki)

It is now 2018, I've only just started with Proxmox. I have two Work In progress, sorry its not complete. Rough I know.

Method 1:
I'm going to use the Live CD method, but mount a VHD from virtualbox to the windows OS, it will look like a regular Harddrive. Then use free ImgBurn software to write the files and folders to an ISO. Hopefully that should be a sort of clone, I guess some raw data may get missed in the conversion.

Method 2:
I'm using VirtualBox 5.2 and migrating to proxmox. A graphical UI solution is :
Virtualbox_Proxmox_Drive.jpg
1. Open 'virtual media manager' in VirtualBox.
2. Select the Harddisk of the VM you want to migrate vhd,vmdk,vdi ect. Note: To test use a small file like < 8GB Raspberrypi x86.
3. Click Copy Icon or Right click, select copy . Copy Virtual Disk Image' pop up appears.
4. Select 'expert' mode, QCOW for the disk image type . Select where you want your copy /qcow file to go. click 'copy'.
5. Copy the qcow files for all your virtualbox VM disks to a USB drive big enough. Note: is there a network way of doing this.
6. Attach the USB drive to the Proxmox physical baremetal server.
7. In proxmox create the VM , set the VM hardware to be similar to your Virtualbox Hardware. proxmox equivalant drivers.
8. Figure out how to get the QCOW disk into Proxmox.

Attachments

• Virtualbox_Proxmox_Drive.jpg
    Virtualbox_Proxmox_Drive.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 109

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!