Import/Export of Virtual Machine

GargleBlasted

May 1, 2024
Good morning everyone,

We're trying to see if replacing VMware with ProxMox is a viable solution, and aside from a few shortcoming we're having good luck so far. I am trying to find a more "user friendly" way to export a VM template in a development environment and include it in an installation package for a production environment. Obviously there is not shared equipment between these environments so using a shared storage or anything of the sort is not available.

The only thing I can find is getting the disk image file to an external drive, then building the VMs on the new environment and importing the disks to the vms. While it isn't completely out of the question, it's definitely not the preferred method of building the environment as this needs to be able to be deployed by entry level sysadmins in case of a failure.

Thanks for any support and response!

you can just use backup/restore for that (don't forget to tick the "unique" box upon restore).

Reactions: GargleBlasted
I assume you mean mount the usb drive, add it as a backup storage and backup to that. Then restore it on the production environment by doing the same?

Is there anything that needs to be done for the new backup server to populate the backups already found. Currently I only have 2 separate PBS VMs doing a sync to test the functionality, I have never tried mounting an existing backup storage to a new PBS.

you can use PBS or legacy VMA style backups, the latter is a single file that you can transfer however you want, for PBS you probably want to use a sync job and have PBS instances on both ends.

Reactions: GargleBlasted

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!