Import existing Datastore to Proxmox Backup Server

Jan 25, 2021
Hello,

my PBS-server runs in a VM on a Proxmox VE node. The backup datastore is mounted (CIFS) on a QNAP-NAS. To my question:

If the storage of the Proxmox node (running the virtual PBS-server) gets broken, I need to reinstall PBS on a new node and add the existing backup datastore (of the old PBS-server) to that new Proxmox Backup Server. Is this workflow possible?

Do I have to backup/restore any other configuration/data (not residing on the backup datastore on my QNAP)?

Best regards,
mscd

Hello!
If the storage of the Proxmox node (running the virtual PBS-server) gets broken, I need to reinstall PBS on a new node and add the existing backup datastore (of the old PBS-server) to that new Proxmox Backup Server. Is this workflow possible?
Yes this is possible, but there's no "GUI way" yet for such an action.

Do I have to backup/restore any other configuration/data (not residing on the backup datastore on my QNAP)?
Almost all relevant configuration files from Proxmox Backup Server are saved in the /etc/proxmox-backup/ directory, so backing up makes sense - even if only just to be sure.

If you mount the CIFS store on the same path as now you could just restore the datastore.cfg from the backup to the directory again after reinstallation and you should be done.

We try to keep our configuration files as simple as possible, so re-adding a datastore is generally quite easy, see my post in an earlier thread:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/datastore-recovery.72835/#post-325491

Reactions: TomFIT and egrueda

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!