Import Disk from NFS Slow

toomanylogins

Mar 23, 2021
Clean install today of version 7 on server with 6*ssd and 128gb ram. I have a large 127GB windows qcow2 file which is too big to upload via sftp into the local ext4 storage. Therefore I have mounted an NFS share from my Windows server. Mounted the nfs data store and I am running

qm importdisk 100 /mnt/pve/rx300s8/exchange2013/exchangeos.qcow2 local-lvm

local-lvm has 300Gb space.

The import process started at 12.30 and 3 hours later is at 57%. After searching the forums NFS should give 35mb/s therefore this should have taken about an hour.

I have 3 more large discs to import. Any idea what might be the bottleneck.

Thanks
Paul

Unfortunately any thoughts on what your perceived bottleneck might be, would be completely wild guesses. You've provided insufficient information about your environment. More importantly, you've provided no troubleshooting steps that you took. Its entirely possible that you've reached the max that your infrastructure can handle.
There is no one single baseline speed that is true for everyone. The 35mb/s, that seems to be your goal, is completely arbitrary - why would NFS top out at 300mbps ?

Some off the wall pointers:
- windows server disk
- windows server cpu
- windows server nic
- windows server NFS implementation
- network switch in between
- nic on proxmox host
- cpu on proxmox host
- disks on proxmox host

The least you could do is to determine that you are not losing packets and NFS is not constantly retransmitting.

Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!