Import disk from file using API

anzure

Jul 26, 2021
I know that you can import disk from file to VM using CLI:
qm importdisk 9000 bionic-server-cloudimg-amd64.img local-lvm

However I want to do this using the API, but there is no endpoint for that.
I have attempted to change the configuration and move the disk..

VM config is set to:
POST /api2/json/nodes/pve/qemu/9000/config
Code:
vmid=        9000
name=        ubuntu-tmp
net0=        virtio,bridge=vmbr0
memory=        2048
scsihw=        virtio-scsi-pci
scsi0=        local:iso/bionic-server-cloudimg-amd64.img
ide2=        local-lvm:cloudinit
bootdisk=    scsi0
boot=        c

Moving the disk:
POST /api2/json/nodes/pve/qemu/9000/move_disk
Code:
disk=        scsi0
storage=    local-lvm

Every attempt has just resulted in "no bootable devices found" (bios error).
And it works perfectly fine when using the CLI importdisk command.

Any suggestions for a workaround?

Hi,
we are working on adding such an API endpoint. Could you try placing the image as images/9000/bionic-server-cloudimg-amd64.qcow2 rather than as an ISO image? Use qemu-img info bionic-server-cloudimg-amd64.img to make sure the format is actually qcow2 first. (It was for the image I found online.)

Reactions: supermario87
A bit of necroposting confirming that taking the image file from storage:iso/image does not work with the API endpoint move_disk

It only works with qm importdisk cli utility(in fact, importdisk can take the image from any path)

Any updates on the importdisk functionality in the API endpoint @Fabian_E ??

Any updates on the importdisk functionality in the API endpoint @Fabian_E ??
Sadly, I cannot give any time estimate when the feature will be available. I'm afraid it might still take a while.

The feature is available with qemu-server >= 7.1-5. Rather than it's own API endpoint, there is an import-from property that can be used when setting the VM drive. For example
Code:
pvesh set /nodes/pve701/qemu/105/config --scsi1 local:0,discard=on,import-from=myzpool:vm-123-disk-0
create full clone of drive scsi0 (myzpool:vm-123-disk-0)
scsi1: successfully created disk 'local:105/vm-105-disk-1.raw,discard=on,size=103M'
with <target storage>:0 being required syntax. This can also be used upon VM creation.

EDIT: For completeness, I should mention that you can also specify an absolute path as an import source.

Last edited:
with <target storage>:0 being required syntax. This can also be used upon VM creation.

EDIT: For completeness, I should mention that you can also specify an absolute path as an import source.

I cannot confirm that:
Bash:
curl -XPOST --silent -v --insecure -H "Authorization: PVEAPIToken=$(cat ./proxmox-api-token.txt)" -H "Content-Type: application/json" \                                                              
--data '{"vmid": 102, "scsihw": "virtio-scsi-pci", "virtio0": "local:0,import-from=/var/lib/vz/template/iso/ubuntu-server-cloudimg-amd64.img", "agent": 1, "serial0": "socket"}' \
https://192.168.121.209:8006/api2/json/nodes/bullseye/qemu
HTTP/1.1 500 Only root can pass arbitrary filesystem paths. at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage.pm line 539.

I cannot confirm that:
Bash:
curl -XPOST --silent -v --insecure -H "Authorization: PVEAPIToken=$(cat ./proxmox-api-token.txt)" -H "Content-Type: application/json" \                                                             
--data '{"vmid": 102, "scsihw": "virtio-scsi-pci", "virtio0": "local:0,import-from=/var/lib/vz/template/iso/ubuntu-server-cloudimg-amd64.img", "agent": 1, "serial0": "socket"}' \
https://192.168.121.209:8006/api2/json/nodes/bullseye/qemu
HTTP/1.1 500 Only root can pass arbitrary filesystem paths. at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage.pm line 539.
The error message tells you exactly what the problem is. Being able to pass arbitrary paths is a security risk, so it needs to be limited.

I don't disagree on that. I was just confused that it didn't match with what you said earlier in this thread. I was btw authenticated with root@pam with an unrestricted API Token, so the error message was also a bit misleading.

You just need the proper permissions to do it. Being authenticated with an API token for root@pam is not the same as being authenticated as root@pam. Otherwise, tokens for root@pam would be a security risk too.

It should work. IIRC, the content type check shouldn't be done when using absolute paths.

Interesting. Maybe this is worth exploring then. But on the other hand, I am not sure if it's a good idea to require the user of an integration to have full permissions, if that integration's purpose is just to spin up VMs.

But just for completeness sake: Would the absolute path always be /var/lib/vz/template/iso/<filename> or does it depend on the storage attached and used, right? Would there be a deterministic way to get the absolute path via API?

Interesting. Maybe this is worth exploring then. But on the other hand, I am not sure if it's a good idea to require the user of an integration to have full permissions, if that integration's purpose is just to spin up VMs.
Yes, of course. I agree that there is no good workflow for this at the moment. I just created the relevant enhancement request.
But just for completeness sake: Would the absolute path always be /var/lib/vz/template/iso/<filename> or does it depend on the storage attached and used, right? Would there be a deterministic way to get the absolute path via API?
It does depend on the storage. You can GET /storage/<storage ID> whose result includes the base path of the storage. The rest of the path is template/iso/<name of image>

Reactions: dermorz

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!