Import AMI image from AWS

Reactions: Moayad
Hi,

apparently AWS supports [0] exporting to VHD and VMDK. VMDK is (and VHD should work, too) supported by qm importdisk.
If you have the VMDK disk images you should head to the migration guide and look for the qm importdisk command.

I haven't tried exporting from AWS myself yet. Therefore, it would be great if you could share your results. Then we could add it to the wiki.

[0] https://docs.aws.amazon.com/vm-import/latest/userguide/vmexport_image.html
Dominic, migration from amazon ec2 works fine with Proxmox 6.4.

I did the follow steps:

Generate vmdk image from amazon cli / moved to s3;
Download the vmdk image to Proxmox 6.4;
Create VM in Proxmox;
Detach / delete disk from VM on Proxmox;
Imported the image with qm importdisk ID ec2-ami-bbb.vmdkexport-ami-vmdk local-lvm;
Attached the disk to VM;
Add serial port to VM to boot correctly;
Ajusted cloudinit to not slow down the boot process.

I hope it helps.

Reactions: acc61287
Dominic, migration from amazon ec2 works fine with Proxmox 6.4.

I did the follow steps:

Generate vmdk image from amazon cli / moved to s3;
Download the vmdk image to Proxmox 6.4;
Create VM in Proxmox;
Detach / delete disk from VM on Proxmox;
Imported the image with qm importdisk ID ec2-ami-bbb.vmdkexport-ami-vmdk local-lvm;
Attached the disk to VM;
Add serial port to VM to boot correctly;
Ajusted cloudinit to not slow down the boot process.

I hope it helps.

Hi @filipealvarez

I would like to ask how you were able to login to the new exported server since AWS uses keys to login directly to the vm user, in my case to ubuntu user without any password.

Now in the exported vm, I am quite stuck on how to login. I know the user but not the password. Apologies for this noob question.

I might have to try adding a new user and password on the EC2 instance and re-export it, just to get around this.

Thank you for any response.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!