[SOLVED] *.img downloaded, but how can i mount it on my desktop?

fireon

Distinguished Member
Oct 25, 2010
Austria/Graz
iteas.at
Hello all,

tested here a lot of with the new Server. So the question what we are all asking ourselves here is: "How we can mount such imagefile (IMG). Geh goal is a GUI (Ubuntu/KDE NEON 20.04) that we can mount it with single click. But the first challenge is to mount this image with the cmd.
Code:
sudo mount drive-scsi0.img /mnt/test
mount: /mnt/test: Falscher Dateisystemtyp, ungültige Optionen, der Superblock von /dev/loop2 ist beschädigt, fehlende Kodierungsseite oder ein anderer Fehler.

file drive-scsi0.img
drive-scsi0.img: DOS/MBR boot sector; partition 1 : ID=0xee, start-CHS (0x0,0,2), end-CHS (0x3ff,255,63), startsector 1, 41943039 sectors, extended partition table (last)
So what we need to mount it on Linux CMD?

Very thanks

HI,

since the .img file contains the complete vm disk (incl partition table, etc.) you have to either use a tool that can handle this such as gnome-disk-image-mounter (in debian this is in the package gnome-disk-utility)
or you use something like losetup/partx/kpartx to get the partitions as loopdevices or you check (e.g. with fdisk) where the partition begins manually and add an offset to mount

edit:
Just a general warning: you should NEVER mount an unknown and possibly bad filesystem on a machine that contains important info/has access to an important network
a filesystem prepared by an attacker can abuse kernel fs bugs (which are not seen as security issues by the kernel)

i'd suggest to only mount unknown filesystems in a vm

Reactions: fabian
Really!! With gnome-disk-utility it works perfectly. Why aren't there such tools in QT? (KDE).... grrr...

Very Thanks :cool::D:)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!