[SOLVED] IMAP port PMG

Jan 16, 2014
Hi,
I am trying to insert PMG befeore my mail server. I read Proxmox MG admin guide but I have these questions:
Imap port for the client (ex. like thunderbird) must point always to the mailsever and not to PMG? Since, from the guide, I read PMG doesn't deal this job.
So DNS MX records must point to PMG IP public addresses (since it fileters communication server to server on port 25) while for client (like thunderbird) I must configure mail server public ip address. Is it right?
For local communication from PMG to mail server inside mail server I have to modify smtp port from 25 to 26 (I have postfix):
Code:
# from this
smtp      inet  n       -       y       -       -       smtpd
# to this
#26      inet  n       -       y       -       -       smtpd
Is it right?

Thanks.

PMG is a SMTP proxy and does not offer IMAP service - you're right - your mail-client needs to connect to your Mail-server where an IMAP daemon is running.

So DNS MX records must point to PMG IP public addresses (since it fileters communication server to server on port 25)
yes - the MX record is for inbound mail and it needs to point to PMG, which den sends the mail to your downstream mailserver (where in most cases the IMAP server is running as well).

For local communication from PMG to mail server inside mail server I have to modify smtp port from 25 to 26 (I have postfix):
Not sure I understand the question..
PMG sends the mails for the domains you have configured as 'Relay Domains' (GUI->Configuration->Mail Proxy->Relay Domains) to the transport you have configured for the domain (GUI->Configuration->Mail Proxy->Transports), or if you have not configured a transport for that domain to the default Relay (GUI->Configuration->Mail Proxy->Relaying->Default Relay)

if you wish to also filter outbound mails you need to configure your downstream server to relay mails to the internal port of PMG
(set PMG and port 26 as smarthost)

I hope this explains it!

Another question: since I change mx record with PMG server, I have to contact my ISP and change also reverse PTR wich now is pointing to my mailserver, is it right? In that way reverse PTR have to point to PMG.
Thanks

ce I change mx record with PMG server, I have to contact my ISP and change also reverse PTR wich now is pointing to my mailserver, is it right? In that way reverse PTR have to point to PMG.
That depends on your hosting situation and provider - but yes usually only the ISPs can set the reverse pointers for IP addresses and yes - for a mailserver it has quite an advantage to have hostname->IP and IP->hostname resolution (and having both in sync)

Ok, but have I to change revese PTR so that it points to PMG's public IP only if PMG sends outbounding mails? Because if PMG doesn't send email the sender is mailserver and its public IP address is different from PMG public IP, so reverse PTR could fail, or am I wrong?

k, but have I to change revese PTR so that it points to PMG's public IP only if PMG sends outbounding mails?
yes - that is usually only a requirement/best practice for sending servers

but the dns entries are independent of PMG:
* any server sending e-mails should have a hostname <-> IP matching in both directions...

Ok. So only if I use PMG for outbonding email I have to add another REVERSE PRT rules PMG_hostmane <-> IP.
In all ather cases the reverse PRT rule for mailserse_histname <-> IP remains the same.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!