Im new to proxmox

Geist-JP

Aug 1, 2024
Yeah, one of those guys...
Anyway!
Followed countless tutorials and spoke on reddit and my ISP forum but still cant assign an IP address to my local proxmox?
It wont open the desired address 192.168.0.254:8006
Fails to connect
And I tried to assign a static IP with my router but been I need to assign it to proxmox locally but how do i do this if i cant connect locally?? below is example of the welcome screen, not my one using 192.168.0.254:8006

This is what i get when trying to log on using a diff machine to access the server of proxmox
160701-proxmox-login.png
afdsassdfsadfsfdsdf.JPG
1111.JPG
222222.JPG
The above IP's are all dynamic not static but if i chose 1 to be static it still wont work. Like someone said, i need to assign a static ip to proxmox locally but how do i do this if the screen is black and cant load the darn VE for proxmox!

Yeah, one of those guys...
Anyway!
Followed countless tutorials and spoke on reddit and my ISP forum but still cant assign an IP address to my local proxmox?
It wont open the desired address 192.168.0.254:8006
Fails to connect
And I tried to assign a static IP with my router but been I need to assign it to proxmox locally but how do i do this if i cant connect locally?? below is example of the welcome screen, not my one using 192.168.0.254:8006

This is what i get when trying to log on using a diff machine to access the server of proxmox
View attachment 72185
View attachment 72186
View attachment 72187
View attachment 72188
The above IP's are all dynamic not static but if i chose 1 to be static it still wont work. Like someone said, i need to assign a static ip to proxmox locally but how do i do this if the screen is black and cant load the darn VE for proxmox!

You are mixing up DHCP reservation (e.g. on SOHO router box) and static IP assignment (on the client).

You simply specify the static IP during PVE install (to the installer, manually - one that you do know nothing else uses and cannot be DHCP assigned to something else). The IP has to be on the same network with same mask (so e.g. 192.168.0.x/24) that your router actually will route for you.

If you missed doing it during PVE install, it might be easiest for you to just reinstall or you have to log in from the local console and change it manually).

From the screenshosts above it simply appears you have chosen a static IP 192.168.20.12, but your router only routes 192.168.0.0/24 - so only addresses that look like 192.168.0.x, not 192.168.20.x.

You set static IP 192.168.20.12 address when you install Proxmox.
You have to change from console.
Change in file
/etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hosts

Like someone said, i need to assign a static ip to proxmox locally but how do i do this if the screen is black and cant load the darn VE for proxmox!

And if I misunderstood and the screenshots are from different scenarios, then you need to say more about "black screen" and how did your install go on the machine in question.

You set static IP 192.168.20.12 address when you install Proxmox.
You have to change from console.
Change in file
/etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hosts
Oh sorry, the 192.168.20 is just example from a screen shot on the web. My actual ip address assigned to the proxmox mini pc is 192.168.0.254

just example from a screen shot on the web

Are you perhaps confusing you getting no access to the GUI via a web browser and the "black" console screen that shows on the display of the machine itself?

How did you install PVE and what happened after reboot?

show us your files /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hosts
I re installed proxmox but giving it 192.168.0.50 not 254 and I changed static to dhcp

this is what i have for interface:
GNU nano 7.2auto loiface lo inet loopbackiface episo inet manual auto umbroiface unbro inet dhcpaddress 192.168.0.50gateway 192.168.0.1bridge-ports enpis0bridge-stp off bridge-fd oiface wlol inet manualsource /etc/network/interfaces.d/s

and this for hosts:

GNU nano 7.2127.0.0.1 localhost. localdomain localhost192.168.0.50 pue. local pue# The following lines are desirable for IPu6 capable hosts::1ip6-localhost ip6-loopbackfe00: :0 ip6-localnetff00::0 ip6-mcastprefixff02::1 ipo-allnodesff02::2 ipo-allrouters ff02: :3 ip6-allhosts

Are you perhaps confusing you getting no access to the GUI via a web browser and the "black" console screen that shows on the display of the machine itself?

How did you install PVE and what happened after reboot?
ISO from flash drive, then restarted pc with flash drive out and continued to follow all instructions and a lot of youtube videos

GNU nano 7.2auto loiface lo inet loopbackiface episo inet manual auto umbroiface unbro inet dhcpaddress 192.168.0.50gateway 192.168.0.1bridge-ports enpis0bridge-stp off bridge-fd oiface wlol inet manualsource /etc/network/interfaces.d/s
maybe this o not 0
enpso not enpis0
if you set dhcp
remove line address and gateway from /etc/network/interfaces

check what is real interface name
ip a

I re installed proxmox but giving it 192.168.0.50 not 254 and I changed static to dhcp

and this for hosts:

GNU nano 7.2127.0.0.1 localhost. localdomain localhost192.168.0.50 pue. local pue# The following lines are desirable for IPu6 capable hosts::1ip6-localhost ip6-loopbackfe00: :0 ip6-localnetff00::0 ip6-mcastprefixff02::1 ipo-allnodesff02::2 ipo-allrouters ff02: :3 ip6-allhosts

To be honest I am completely lost in the description of the problem or the interfaces (you may want to enclose it into [ CODE ] ... [/ CODE ] block), how exactly, did you end up with this network configuration following what procedure?

What does the following commands return on your machine?
Code:
ip a

cat /etc/network/interfaces

Ok
This command show your real interfaces and IP addresses

INI:
ip a

interface name uses in /etc/network/interfaces
Code:
cat /etc/network/interfaces

when you show your /etc/network/interfaces is mishmash

iface episo inet manual
auto umbro
iface unbro inet dhcp
address 192.168.0.50
gateway 192.168.0.1
bridge-ports enpis0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

if you use iface unbro inet dhcp, remove line from /etc/network/interfaces
address 192.168.0.50
gateway 192.168.0.1

iface episo inet manual
auto umbro
iface unbro inet dhcp
address 192.168.0.50
gateway 192.168.0.1
bridge-ports enpis0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

Thanks for reformatting it, I realised the OP - as he might not have SSH access either - is literally typing it over. Maybe a picture of the screen would be simplest to show.

But I still don't know how to get DHCP from any ISO install of PVE (have I missed something in the new installers)?

changed to enpso not enps0
changed back to static
ip a says vmbro is 1192.168.0.50/32 not the typical 24? or is this normal to have 32?

At this point it I would literally suggest to see what this says:

ifup -a --no-act ; echo "status: $?"

Feel free to snap a picture of the screen.

Thanks for reformatting it, I realised the OP - as he might not have SSH access either - is literally typing it over. Maybe a picture of the screen would be simplest to show.

But I still don't know how to get DHCP from any ISO install of PVE (have I missed something in the new installers)?

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    954.9 KB · Views: 10
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    906 KB · Views: 10
  • cc.jpg
    cc.jpg
    678.4 KB · Views: 10
At this point it I would literally suggest to see what this says:

ifup -a --no-act ; echo "status: $?"

Feel free to snap a picture of the screen.

Attachments

• cc.jpg
    cc.jpg
    678.4 KB · Views: 7
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    954.9 KB · Views: 7
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    906 KB · Views: 7
you've got netmark instead of netmask
Anyway remove that whole "netmark" line, & instead add /24 to the end of the address so that you now have:
192.168.0.50/24

Reactions: milew

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!