I'm have HDDs 4kn with RaidZ2 and HBA Mode , after more TBs fill , HDDs fault , after reboot back to normal, how fix this?

iHostART

Nov 26, 2021
Hello ProxMox users ,I know it's not the most professional way to express myself to the community, but I have a problem that I can't understand and I'm at my wits' end
So , I'm have a 24x 14 TB HDD SAS 4kn
I'm put this HDDs in ZFS RaidZ2 , at a certain time, for example after space usage, at 10 TB, or 32 TB, or 40 TB, one or more HDDs begin to appear as "Fault" in zfs status and raid disappears , if I reboot to node, sometimes all HDDs return to normal and raid starts to appear and work all VPS, but sometimes disappears completely and can not recover data If I test the HDDs individually, they have no problem, how can I solve this because I despair
What it's the problem?Bad HDDs??Poor raid configuration??Any help it's very happy

Thanks for your time!

Regards,
Calin

What make and model are your drives? If they use SMR then they might slow down too much after a while and be marked problematic by ZFS. zpool status (whose output when errors occur would be very useful) would show write errors in that case. If it shows different error counts (or CMR drives), then it might be something else entirely.

24x 14 TB HDD SAS 4kn
I'm put this HDDs in ZFS RaidZ2
Did you tell us the number of drives per vdev? Is it 24 for a single vdev? Can you show us the output of zpool status (in CODE-Tags please)?

The recommended maximum number of drives per vdev varies around 10 +/- "some", depending on who you ask.

Personally I would not go over 12...

Good luck...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!