iGPU passthrough and Memory usage problem

dfc643

Sep 13, 2022
hi everyone,

i have a vm host with Intel i5-3470, and i have a win2012 vm in pve. i tried enabled iommu and vfio perparing for iGPU passthrough. everything seems works fine but vm have very high memory usage (99%).

note:
* iGPU passthrough works in legacy mode (legacy-igd=1) due to only supports legacy mode for gen-3 intel processor.
* added "-set device.hostpci0.x-igd-gms=1" in args.

is anybody has the same problem? and how to solve it?
thanks!!!

Reactions: CryptoVibe
When using PCI passthrough the VM is always reserving the full RAM as DMA needs to be able to access the whole RAM at all times.
So you best not give the VM more RAM than it needs. Did you setup the QEMU guest agent for correct memory reporting? https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_2012_guest_best_practices#Guest_Agent
hi Dunuin, thanks for your reply :)
i tried set ram size to 3GB and 4GB for win2k12 vm, but memory usage both 99%. i has been installed qemu agent for win2k12 vm. and win2k12 reports memory usage are 99% too.....

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!