ifupdown2: no network enable on reboot if purged ifupdown

dea

Renowned Member
Feb 6, 2009
Hi all,

I've installed ifupdown2 on Proxmox 6.2-11 (or 6.2-10 enterprise) and works fine.
ifupdown2 remove ifupdown when installed and put the the package in 'rc' state.

1597991417436.png

In this case the system works fine, ifupdown2 apply network config without reboot, etc.

If I purged the rc package "ifupdown" (for greater cleaning) the system works fine again.... (hot network apply, etc), BUT
the system on reboot does not configure the network.

The problem is only on reboot.

Hi,

purging ifupdown after installing ifupdown2 is not necessary and does not really tidies up anything relevant.

Can you see if the networking.service is still available and running? systemctl status networking.service As this one is shared between ifupdown and ifupdown2

You can try to reinstall ifupdown2 to ensure all its files are present again:
apt install --reinstall ifupdown2

Reactions: gurubert
Yes, after purge "ifupdown", networking.service is still available and running.
The solution is..... force reinstall ifupdown2 after purging ifupdown.

Now the system works correctly after reboot.

Thanks !!!

Reactions: gurubert
Thanks spirit !
I've tried on several servers to purge ifupdown (in state RC) and force reinstallation of ifupdown2. Works fine, simply reinstalling ifupdown2 enable networking daemon on boot, equivalent to "systemctl enable networking"

I'm having a similar problem. My PVE host loose network connectivity whenever it reboots. Is the fix just to run "systemctl enable networking" or do I need to install the ifupdown2 as well?

For what its worth, I'm running Ryzen 1600 on an ASROCK AB350M Pro4 motherboard. I'm curious if anyone else with this problem has similar hardware.

It's the same. If you purged ifupdown, you remove daemon autostart. When you force ifupdown2 "reinstall" AFTER ifupdown purge you re-enable the normal configuration.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!