ifreload failed

Dragon19

Jan 4, 2020
Code:
TASK ERROR: command 'ifreload -a' failed: exit code 1

How can I fix this? Happens every time I modify the network.

It seems to be throwing an error about the length of mac address (24) not being supported.

ifupdown2 ?

if yes, can you send your /etc/network/interfaces, and result of ifreload in debug mode "ifreload -a -d" ?

I'm not home right now but I've used proxmox before without this issue, even while installing on top of buster.

I've verified this issue on multiple nodes and ifupdown2 is installed.

Steps to reproduce:

Install buster. Install proxmox on top. Install opensm/rdma-core and follow the how to for infiniband on the proxmox wiki. Once infiniband is added reboot.

I've removed all network interfaces from the file. I've tried changing it. I've tried setting it back to default. The error continues regardless and network changes require a physical reboot as ifup/ifconfig does not initialize the interfaces correctly.

Same problem for me since a hard reboot of one of my servers which completely lost network :(

I used ifupdown2 previously on this server and had no trouble, so it must be linked with some update.

On another node, infiniband does not causes trouble with ifupdown2.
The IB adapters are different, mellanox causes me troubles, qlogic is ok, but I'm not sure it is linked.

Was 2.0.1-1+pve2, now 2.0.1-1+pve3

Same error message: "error: main exception: Length of MACAddress attribute not supported: 24"

It comes from https://github.com/CumulusNetworks/python-nlmanager/blob/master/nlmanager/nlpacket.py#L591

I've replaced the raise.exception with a simple print('error') and the network comes up as expected on all interfaces.
I'm surprised not to have the same problem on another node, with a different IB card.
Thanks for the analysis. Can you send your network interfaces file ? Ans also output of "ifreload -a -d ". Ill make a bugreport to ifupdown2 dev

The network interface file does not seem to have any link with this issue. This part of ifupdown2 scans the available devices, without using the interfaces file.

More details with a new node impacted...

I just got the same problem on a second server, also using a melanox adapter (same as the first one I reported).
lshw reports it as "MT26428 [ConnectX VPI PCIe 2.0 5GT/s - IB QDR / 10GigE]"

No problem up to now on my third server using a Qlogic adapter: "IBA7322 QDR InfiniBand HCA"

Kernel versions:
- 1st server (Melanox): 5.3.13-1-pve
- 2nd server (Melanox): 5.3.18-1-pve <- just upgraded /rebooted
- 3rd server (QLogic): 5.3.13-1-pve

2nd and 3rd servers are both Dell R710, 1st is a Supermicro

The network interface file does not seem to have any link with this issue. This part of ifupdown2 scans the available devices, without using the interfaces file.

More details with a new node impacted...

I just got the same problem on a second server, also using a melanox adapter (same as the first one I reported).
lshw reports it as "MT26428 [ConnectX VPI PCIe 2.0 5GT/s - IB QDR / 10GigE]"

No problem up to now on my third server using a Qlogic adapter: "IBA7322 QDR InfiniBand HCA"

Kernel versions:
- 1st server (Melanox): 5.3.13-1-pve
- 2nd server (Melanox): 5.3.18-1-pve <- just upgraded /rebooted
- 3rd server (QLogic): 5.3.13-1-pve

2nd and 3rd servers are both Dell R710, 1st is a Supermicro
The bug is related to some infiniband nic with big 24 characters length.
(could be verified with "ip addr" , and verify mac address size

Old thread I know, but why open a new one when this describes my exact issue...? I get the exact same error with the exit 1 status.

It complains about too long interface names, yet it allow it to be added in the GUI. I use OVS btw. Maybe I should report it as a bug instead? Making the interfaces names shorter solved the "issue".

warning: /etc/network/interfaces: line63: rmtechnology_xyz: interface name too long
warning: /etc/network/interfaces: line70: importantis_imismedi: interface name too long
warning: /etc/network/interfaces: line77: danielshanssons_xyz: interface name too long

Last edited:
Old thread I know, but why open a new one when this describes my exact issue...? I get the exact same error with the exit 1 status.

It complains about too long interface names, yet it allow it to be added in the GUI. I use OVS btw. Maybe I should report it as a bug instead? Making the interfaces names shorter solved the "issue".

warning: /etc/network/interfaces: line63: rmtechnology_xyz: interface name too long
warning: /etc/network/interfaces: line70: importantis_imismedi: interface name too long
warning: /etc/network/interfaces: line77: danielshanssons_xyz: interface name too long
the kernel limit interfaces name to 15characters. It's should be limited in the gui, maybe it's missing a check.
which kind of interfaces ? ovs int port ?

Do you use last version of proxmox ?

A bug limit of interfaces name was fixed last month:

https://git.proxmox.com/?p=proxmox-...it;h=60ed17bf96e17b21fe9029d137a53ac36ee8c94b

the kernel limit interfaces name to 15characters. It's should be limited in the gui, maybe it's missing a check.
which kind of interfaces ? ovs int port ?

Do you use last version of proxmox ?

A bug limit of interfaces name was fixed last month:

https://git.proxmox.com/?p=proxmox-...it;h=60ed17bf96e17b21fe9029d137a53ac36ee8c94b

I solved it by shortening the names, and reboot the server. But it sure seems like a bug.

It's all OVS and the setup is like: bridge (untagged) -- > port(s) (tagged)

Same issue here.
Strange things seeing here with ip addr: I get more or less 30 interfaces like fwln300i1@fwpr300p1 dont know why.

I just changed one Nic yesterday. Everything works, but when i change the Comment/Description of the NIC it gives me the error.

Attachments

• ifreload -a -d.txt
    33.4 KB · Views: 3
Same issue here.
Strange things seeing here with ip addr: I get more or less 30 interfaces like fwln300i1@fwpr300p1 dont know why.
they are interface for proxmox firewall, when firewall checkbox is enable on vm nic.

I just changed one Nic yesterday. Everything works, but when i change the Comment/Description of the NIC it gives me the error.
Seem related to enp7s0 && vmbr5.

can you provide content of :
/etc/network/interfaces

and

#brctl show

?

Sure

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface enp3s0 inet manual
#MON

iface enp4s0 inet manual
#SER

iface enp5s0 inet manual
#NET

iface enp6s0 inet manual
#DMZ

iface eno2 inet manual
#NAS

iface usb0 inet manual

iface enp16s0 inet manual

iface enxbe3af2b6059f inet manual

iface enp7s0 inet manual
#BCK

iface enp10s0 inet manual

iface enp9s0 inet manual
#BCK2
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address x/29
gateway x
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge-ports enp6s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
#DMZ

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
bridge-ports enp5s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
#NET - OFF

auto vmbr3
iface vmbr3 inet manual
bridge-ports enp4s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
#SER - OFF
auto vmbr4
iface vmbr4 inet manual
bridge-ports enp3s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
#MON

auto vmbr6
iface vmbr6 inet manual
bridge-ports eno2
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
#NAS

auto vmbr7
iface vmbr7 inet manual
bridge-ports enp9s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
#BCK2

auto vmbr5
iface vmbr5 inet manual
bridge-ports enp7s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
#BCK

ridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
fwbr300i0 8000.6a41aac7a319 no fwln300i0
tap300i0
fwbr300i1 8000.76f1bf601c99 no fwln300i1
tap300i1
fwbr300i2 8000.ce2055b939f0 no fwln300i2
tap300i2
vmbr0 8000.3cecefc38189 no eno1
vmbr1 8000.88c9b3b6031c no enp6s0
vmbr2 8000.88c9b3b6031b no enp5s0
vmbr3 8000.88c9b3b6031a no enp4s0
vmbr4 8000.88c9b3b60319 no enp3s0
vmbr5 8000.da62d10c487a no fwpr300p1
vmbr6 8000.3cecefc40879 no eno2
fwpr300p0
vmbr7 8000.0276c600f301 no enp9s0
fwpr300p2

Your right.

Sorry did find the problem. Was my fault.
Misconfiguration from my site. Did take the old interface name, and not getting the two new ones :(

can i change the names for them`?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!