If PMS is for me?

_KriS_

Jan 6, 2021
Hello,

I don't have internal email server... I use external hosting and they provide for us email service.

Can I use PMS as internal server and reconfigure all users email clients (Outlook/Thunderbird) to use PMS instead of external hosting?

What I want achieve:

1. Some users should only send email at our domain (outoing rule?)
2. Make outgoing rule - if some users will send email, copy of that email should be delivered at one more email from our domain.

If PMS keep all emails (outgoing/incoming) at local storage? Can I backup them all some how?

--
KriS

Can I use PMS as internal server and reconfigure all users email clients (Outlook/Thunderbird) to use PMS instead of external hosting?

Have a look at the documentation: https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#chapter_deployment

The way the Proxmox Mail Gateway (PMG) is intended to be used is to have it in front of the mail server that handles all the client traffic.

So the TL;DR: not really.
1. Some users should only send email at our domain (outoing rule?)
Probably possible to achieve this via the rule system, to allow certain sender emails to only send to a certain list of domains.

2. Make outgoing rule - if some users will send email, copy of that email should be delivered at one more email from our domain.
Possible via the rule system and the BCC action.

Applying rules to outgoing emails requires that the mail server is using the PMG to send out emails. This will be tough if you don't control your mail server.

Yes, I read documentation, but it dosen't resolve my doubts thats why I ask at forum.

My configuration will be like this:

~20 users > PMG > firewall > ISP with email hosting

I don't have posibility change anything at hosted email server... so it's looks like PMG is not for me :-(

You could use it for incoming traffic by pointing the MX records to the PMG which will then forward the mails to the hosted email server. But even then, ideally the mail server would be configured to not do any additional spam filtering and accept all emails from the PMG.

Hmm good idea.. but when my internet connection went down I'll lose possibilitiy receive email at my email server...
I need figure out something else...

Anyway thx for help.

Reactions: aaron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!