[SOLVED] If i use ZFS on my pbs, should i enable compression too, for the backups?

fireon

Distinguished Member
Oct 25, 2010
Austria/Graz
iteas.at
Hello all,

we used the last years proxmox with ZFS as storage for backups (cifs,nfs). So now i would change directly to Proxmox Backup Server. So i using ZFS with default compression on the backup server. So my question. Should we enable the ZSTD compression on Serverside too for the backups? Does that make sense with pbs?

Very Thanks :)

do you mean the dropdown box on pve? this has no meaning (for now) for pbs (in newer versions of pve this dropdown is already disabled)
there is no way to disable compression on pbs as far as i am aware

ah okay that seems to not be patched yet, as i said the compression for pbs is not configurable yet and that dropdown is for 'regular' vzdump backups
(i'll see that we deactivate it there as well)

ah okay that seems to not be patched yet, as i said the compression for pbs is not configurable yet and that dropdown is for 'regular' vzdump backups
(i'll see that we deactivate it there as well)
ok... does for me now? Should I deactivate the compression in Proxmox for the job on the backup server where it is configured?

ok... does for me now? Should I deactivate the compression in Proxmox for the job on the backup server where it is configured?
as i said, if the target storage is pbs, the compression selector in pve has no effect either way

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!