Resolved - Ideal HBA LSA Raid card

chrischambers

Nov 1, 2022
hello, first allow me to explain my setup up and then I will come to my question.
at the moment I am using a B450 Motherboard with a SATA expansion board, which I have 6 hard drives hanging off from for my RAID hard drivers and then I have a Enterprise SSD for my proxmox OS ( version 8.22)

I also have a fwe other hard drives / SSD plug straight into the motherboard SATA for other VM's

I have a few VM's, which one of them is Unraid, I have past my HD's into unraid using the following command

Code:
qm set 103 -scsi1 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-********
which will pass through my HD's into my Unraid VM. and then I have assigned the to the raid or parity drive's etc.

I just learn that this is not Ideal as Proxmox and Unraid both try and read / write to the Hd's resorting in disc wearage.

so to my question, I have been looking around, for a enterprise Raid controller ( HBA LSA ) which I will then flash into "IT MODE " so that I can then only passthrough the card and not the HD's

but my knowledge of hardware is very limited and I don't know which card is the best for the right price. I am looking for one which will handle 8 SATA driver drives.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!