IDE to SCSI windows 10 guest

manfer

Jun 14, 2019
Looks like I didn't follow windows 10 guest best practices when I installed my guest some months ago. So now I have a Windows 10 guest with "IDE" as bus with "VirtIO SCSI" as controller. Besides I have no discard enable and no cache. SSD emulation is turned off too.

I'm trying to change bus type to SCSI. I have tried turning off guest, deattaching the disk, editing bus type, reattach the disk and turn on guest, but that way Windows 10 guest refuses to boot and I have to revert the bus type of the hard drive to IDE to make it boot again. (I'm now not sure if I did a full window 10 shutdown with shift + turn off, but I think in any of the tests i did so).

Is it posible to convert that drive from IDE to SCSI? Can I enable discard even if the virtual hard drive had been running some months without that option? Should I turn SSD emulation on (host server has SSD drives and proxmox installed with default LVM)? Can I configure cache as "write back" now, with IDE bus type or later if I'm able to change bus type to SCSI?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm trying to change bus type to SCSI. I have tried turning off guest, deattaching the disk, editing bus type, reattach the disk and turn on guest, but that way refuses to boot and I have to revert the bus type to IDE. (I'm now not sure if I did a full window 10 shutdown with shift + turn off, but I think in any of the tests i did so).
The problem here is Windows. It *really* doesn't like being moved to a different root disk, especially if it uses a different driver. There is probably a way out there, but the easiest I've found is to either just reinstall or at least take a system image to an external drive (e.g. a second virtual disk attached to your VM) and then restore from that onto the new, empty disk using the Virtio SCSI controller in the Windows setup (you need to load virtio drivers first).

Can I enable discard even if the virtual hard drive had been running some months without that option? Should I turn SSD emulation on? Can I configure cache as "write back" now, with IDE bus type or later if I'm able to change bus type to SCSI?
All of these options can be changed at any time. Windows should detect Discard support being enabled after a reboot, the cache is independant and will be set by QEMU. SSD emulation is just a flag telling the guest it's running on an SSD, it doesn't change anything about performance.

Reactions: manfer
add a scsi slave disk first so windows can install the scsi driver properly.

then shut down and change the system disk to scsi. once that is working you can delete the slave disk

add a scsi slave disk first so windows can install the scsi driver properly.

then shut down and change the system disk to scsi. once that is working you can delete the slave disk
My hard drive is a volume(secondary drive) I detached it from a VM, then I change my mind, I need to reattach it again to the same VM that I detached, I don't know how, please help.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!