I think I'm doing something wrong

justjosh

Nov 4, 2019
Hey guys,

My objective is to forward selected ports on a single public IP attached to eno1 on the host to LXCs. Inside the LXC I can ping all the way up to the host public IP but not to the host gateway or anything beyond.

E.g. expectation:

IP:10001-10100 > LXC 1
IP:10101-10200 > LXC 2
... etc

Reality:

- ping 192.168.99.1 > Response
- ping Host IP > Response
- ping Host Gateway > No Response
- ping 1.1.1.1 > No Response

Host network is setup as:

eno1:
- CIDR: Public IP/24
- Gateway: ISP Gateway

vmbr0:
- OVS Bridge
- CIDR: 192.168.99.1/24
- Gateway: Host Gateway
- Bridge Ports: eno1

LXC network:

eth0:
- CIDR: 192.168.99.2/24
- Gateway: 192.168.99.1

Hello,

well, ping (icmp) and ports (tcp/udp) are different things, so you can't test things with that.

Do you have set up NAT (masquerade) rules on the host? Without those your local machines won't reach anything beyond your host (e.g. 1.1.1.1).

Port forwarding is only needed if your local machines need to be accessible from outside - for the usual 'connect to internet' things you only need NAT rules.

Is there any reason why you use Openvswitch? I don't have much experience with OVS, but the common virtual networking things can also be done with linux bridges these days.

Kind regards,
Benedikt

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!