I received an error while attempting GPU passthrough error. Is there any way to resolve this?

730C

Mar 29, 2023
The error message is as follows:
kvm: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:00:02.0,id=hostpci0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x10,x-vga=on: vfio 0000:00:02.0: failed getting region info for VGA region index 8: Invalid argument
device does not support requested feature x-vga
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

kvm: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:00:02.0,id=hostpci0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x10,x-vga=on: vfio 0000:00:02.0: failed getting region info for VGA region index 8: Invalid argument
Use the Primary GPU option only for NVidia GPUs, you don't need it for other GPUs. Just set Display of the VM to none when doing passthrough of other GPUs.

EDIT: You are trying to passthrough an Intel integrated graphics? That is more difficult and sometimes never works. Please search this forum for someone having success with the same integrated graphics and find out what kind of special work-around they needed.

Last edited:
Hi I have a NVIDIA GT740 and the GPU passthro works perfectly with a Windows Machine. But it doesnt work with a Ubuntu 22.04. I'm getting the same error

Code:
generating cloud-init ISO
kvm: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:41:00.0,id=hostpci0.0,bus=ich9-pcie-port-1,addr=0x0.0,x-vga=on,multifunction=on,romfile=/usr/share/kvm/GT740.bin: vfio 0000:41:00.0: failed getting region info for VGA region index 8: Invalid argument
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!