I/O error

Shugyo

Aug 31, 2012
Hi,

I have a web server on a VM.

When I try to transfer files via FTP or SSH from a remote machine, some files or directories will not transfer and indicates an i/o error.

When I try to transfer these files or directories through the web server to an FTP server. Transfer works correctly and the files are valid.

Have you ever encountered this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I'll try to explain the problem :

I use proxmox 2.1 to create openVZ containers.

On one of those container, i run a web server (apache2) with about 1,8 milllions on files and i need to save thoses files every day. I've tried to use rsnapsot to do that... Rsnapshot never finish the save task...
so i've tried several things and i have some bizzare behaviours :

my virtual server is A, my snapshot si B (physical debian 6 box)...

making FTP connect from B to A and copy all directories and files gives me I/O errors... ( Erreur d'entrée/sortie in french)
making NFS, SSHFS, or any remote access gives me the same results...

if i make FTP from A to B (A controls the connexion), every thing is OK...

If i Tar my directories, copy it to B server (from A), untar it on B server, it's OK, but, if i mount A server's drive on B server, i can't make a diff between the 2 directories (still have I/O errors). wathever the FS (SMB, NFS, curlftpfs, sshfs...)

Code:
diff -rb www.XXXX.com/ /mnt/VMserverMount/www.XXXX.com
diff: /mnt/VMserverMount/www.XXXX.com/img_actu/000034.mp3: Erreur d'entrée/sortie

the other info is that the A machine have no problem to read the file and serve it via apache without problem (the files are readables and usables when downloaded vi HTTP)

If i do the same : mount B's drive on A server and make a diff between the 2 directories from A, i don't have any problem....

It looks like remote access on vm gives me i/o errors....

The hard drive on A server is clean (SMARTD ok, no error on boot, fsck clean...)
So i've tested to do the same on another proxmox box and i have the same issue....
does anybody experience the same things and have a solution ?

Thanks in advance...

Hello,

I'll try to explain the problem :

I use proxmox 2.1 to create openVZ containers.

On one of those container, i run a web server (apache2) with about 1,8 milllions on files and i need to save thoses files every day. I've tried to use rsnapsot to do that... Rsnapshot never finish the save task...
so i've tried several things and i have some bizzare behaviours :

my virtual server is A, my snapshot si B (physical debian 6 box)...

making FTP connect from B to A and copy all directories and files gives me I/O errors... ( Erreur d'entrée/sortie in french)
making NFS, SSHFS, or any remote access gives me the same results...

if i make FTP from A to B (A controls the connexion), every thing is OK...

If i Tar my directories, copy it to B server (from A), untar it on B server, it's OK, but, if i mount A server's drive on B server, i can't make a diff between the 2 directories (still have I/O errors). wathever the FS (SMB, NFS, curlftpfs, sshfs...)

Code:
diff -rb www.XXXX.com/ /mnt/VMserverMount/www.XXXX.com
diff: /mnt/VMserverMount/www.XXXX.com/img_actu/000034.mp3: Erreur d'entrée/sortie

the other info is that the A machine have no problem to read the file and serve it via apache without problem (the files are readables and usables when downloaded vi HTTP)

If i do the same : mount B's drive on A server and make a diff between the 2 directories from A, i don't have any problem....

It looks like remote access on vm gives me i/o errors....

The hard drive on A server is clean (SMARTD ok, no error on boot, fsck clean...)
So i've tested to do the same on another proxmox box and i have the same issue....
does anybody experience the same things and have a solution ?

Thanks in advance...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!