i need help with basic networking.

cyqpann

Nov 18, 2021
sorry i write a lot and i explain mabye too much because i don't know how to do otherwise.

my hardware:

3 server in a clusters, 2 are identical with a 1 networkcard with 4 ports and a separate card with a port and the motherboard rj45.
the other server got 2 card with 1 port each.
they are all connected to the 48 port switch cisco 3750g
i have a switch dsg-1100 8 ports switch also connected to the 48 port switch.
2 router R7000 and Ac68u connected to that switch
that mean if i understand properly everything

If i wanna create 14 subnet with vlan and different ip for each group and achieve max security at home for business server and personal stuff and get ready to migrate everything into a cloud server, do i need 14 physical network port to be connected to my 48 port switch to create those subnet / vlan and use them in my actual setup in my house or i dont need all my network port.

currently, this seem impossible because i only have 12 physical port and 2 are used for my wan and lan for pfense. that mean only 10 left in total.

do i need all port to be wired connected and in the same pfsense physical server connecxted to my switch or my second switch in order to create all my subnet / vlan or i can do like magic trick and i don't need wire at all between port and switch or network card.

i need at leasy 10-14 differents subnet that receive internet but that cant communicate with each other except for 1 subnet in a single way. i mean my dev subnet need to be able to communicate with my prod subnet computer to share update. same for my wife and son dev and prod server.

do i need 14 physical network port to be connected to my 48 port switch

you need only 1 network port per Server.

Your Switch Cisco Catalyst 3750 seems to have 802.1Q VLAN availabilty. At least it's listed in the Datasheet.

From the DataSheet of your Switch:
• VLAN trunks can be created from any port, using either standards-based 802.1Q tagging or the Cisco Inter-Switch Link (ISL) VLAN architecture.

or i can do like magic trick

yep, it's called VLAN, check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.1Q for more infos.

you need only 1 network port per Server.

Your Switch Cisco Catalyst 3750 seems to have 802.1Q VLAN availabilty. At least it's listed in the Datasheet.

From the DataSheet of your Switch:

yep, it's called VLAN, check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.1Q for more infos.

Yes you're right, it's have vlan in the switch, but for my own knowledge until i learn even more about networking, if someone know the answer to my question or know what i mean, if i wanna create an multiple lxc container in the range for exemple 10.0.0.1/23 , do i need to do something special into the switch like static ip or something else considering i'm currently by default for everyone, in a range ip of 192.168.1.1/24 for the switch ip address 192.168.1.4 255.255.255.0 and i want many subnet exemple range 10.0.0.1/27 10.11.11.1/26 etc etc. how can i do that?

Can you just guide me quickly once or show me a tutorial on how this is called to be able to achieve this with proxmox? if i understand properly,
that mean i could unplug every other cat6 cable connected to my switch and i could still use them for different network. how? please link me a tutorial. I don't know how it call other than vlan ? that it ?

thanks !

Read some Documentation about 802.1Q, how to setup VLAN's.
Read the Documentation about your Switch, how to setup VLAN's with your Switch you own right now. What is tagging, what egress/ingress rules, what is a trunk port, what is an access port,... each vendor uses different vocabulary or a different VLAN implementation depending on his product.

Both Topics are unrelated to Proxmox. When you have mastered these topics, start to integrate your Proxmox to your VLAN Network.

What i completely miss in this scenario is the routing part. How is that done in your setup, where is your Router for your different Networks?
You name 2 Asus Plastic Routers,... are they capable of 802.1Q VLAN's? Why 2?
That's also a bit confusing.

Looks like you have one huge ethernet network, connected to a dumb switch with 48 Ports and Clients with IP's from different number ranges.

and get ready to migrate everything into a cloud server
I do not get to understand that one as well.
Most of these topics are not really PVE related.

Before you want to do a Jumpstart from 0-100. That's not possible to explain in a forum in 1-2 posts, It's even not possible to understand the question.
Cut your topic in slices, and start with a small one.

start drawing your network => https://asciiflow.com/ how it's now and how you want to have it in the future.

Check your main router, read the documentation if it is capable to create different subnets, dhcp for each, do IPv4-C-Class Subnetting, create a VLAN for each, assign tagging on your router, connect the vlan to your switch, change settings on your switch to a tagged port, assign another port as access port. connect to that port and check if the IP you receive is from the new VLAN DHCP Range.

That's completely unrelated to Proxmox. There are maybe some other Forums to help with that questions. When you have mastered that topics, splitted your network with your L2-Switch, continue to start adding VLAN to your Proxmox Network Interfaces.

I do not think your thread fit's that forum. It's not about PROX-virtualization.

###

TL;DR
Create on your Switch a trunk port and connect it to a VLAN-aware Bridge on your Proxmox Host and route all the desired VLAN-Tags through that connection.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!