[SOLVED] I need help setting up the Exchange 2019 send connector and to set Proxmox to send out the email

johnzapf

Dec 11, 2020
I have been trying forever to get Proxmox to send out my email. I need a step by step on setting up the Exchange 2019 sent connector to sent the email from the exchange all internally (10.0.0.X) to the Proxmox Mail gateway and have Proxmox sent out mail.

I have have Proxmox receiving email and sending it to the exchange for years now, and all the while I keep trying to have it send out mail and I just cant figure it out.

Can someone please do a step by step on the send connecter and what to do on Proxmox? There's know good info on this anywhere, I have looked for years. I give up, so frustrated, asking for help now.

Thanks, John

Last edited:
This wont be a step by step, however you would be creating a new "Send Connector" that uses a Smart Host to direct to the PMG and ensure that it has an equal or lower metric/priority than your current/primary connector.

creating a new "Send Connector" that uses a Smart Host to direct to the PMG
additionally keep in mind that the outbound mails need to be sent to the internal port of PMG (port 26 in the default configuration) - so the Send Connector should send the mails to port 26

In Exchange there is no place to change the port on the Send connector.

Also should I do anything with the smart connector field in the PMG?

Last edited:
In Exchange there is no place to change the port on the Send connector.
Is this still the case? (do not have any experience with Exchange) - but maybe these links help:
https://www.authsmtp.com/exchange-2016/exchange2016_alternative_port.html
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/set-sendconnector?view=exchange-ps

if its still not possible one possible workaround is to change the internal and external ports in PMG - and configure a port-redirect in the firewall in front of PMG see the (outdated) PMG v4 deployment guide : https://www.proxmox.com/en/downloads/item/proxmox-mail-gateway-deployment-guide (section 2.3.2)

Also should I do anything with the smart connector field in the PMG?
no (if you mean the smart-host setting) - this is meant for when PMG needs to relay outbound mail to another system instead of directly sending it to the internet

I hope this helps!

Ok, I am trying all this now, and for the exchange Smart host authentication: is NONE? as I don't see place for authentication on PMG

Well I used the command to set the port to 26,

Its still bouncing and not sending out PMG.

Bounce: A problem occurred during the delivery of this message. Please try to resend the message later. If the problem continues, contact your email admin.

Still not working, see below my exchange send connector. Just trying to send from my exchange server to the PMG server all is internal. PMG server is 10.0.0.15.

I GOT IT :) had to pick Basic Authentication and us PMG's login and password.

I didn't see this info anywhere, again there is just so little info on any of this.

Thank you so much for all your help. the port was one issues and then the password the other.

Attachments

• 1632154347844.png
    1632154347844.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Glad you found the solution - please mark the thread as 'SOLVED' - this helps other users with similar issues.,

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!