I just got kicked out of the webui mid upgrade.......

IxsharpxI

Jun 18, 2019
So i was in the middle of upgrading from 6 to 7 and then the login window popped up right as it is asking me what i want to do with sshd_config file. My password isnt workking and the WEBUI is down from a new window.. wth happened and how can i recover? ive been scared to restart the server midupgrade.

i can login from ssh

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_6.x_to_7.0:
Perform the actions via console or ssh; preferably via console to avoid interrupted ssh connections. Do not carry out the upgrade when connected via the virtual console offered by the GUI; as this will get interrupted during the upgrade.

I would connect using SSH and run apt update && apt full-upgrade to continue the upgrade process.

I always to such upgrades using the IPMIs webKVM or physical keyboard/display as this is the only way you can be sure that nothing will interrupt your shell.

Last edited:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_6.x_to_7.0:

I would connect using SSH and run apt update && apt full-upgrade to continue the upgrade process.

I always to such upgrades using the IPMIs webKVM or physical keyboard/display as this is the only way you can be sure that nothing will interrupt your shell.
f.. i wish i woulda read this 5 minutes ago... i did a systemctl restart pveproxy pvedaemon

i got back into the UI but update was frozen.. rebooted :mad:

now i cant ping it and from the shell on the host when i try to ping 8.8.8,8 it says network unreachable. my etc/network/interfaces still looks correct.

idk if its something with pve 7 but this is my second machine to have GUI issues

edit: i saw few lines in journalctl about not being able to create persistant MAC address for my interfaces

Last edited:
when trying this from the upgrade wiki i get permission denied

"If ifupdown2 is installed, you can use ifreload -a to apply this change. For the legacy ifupdown, ifreload is not available, so you either need to reboot or use ifdown vmbr0; ifup vmbr0"

ok thanks everyone. some guy on reddit had the trick. i used the cmd
Code:
 dpkg --configure -a
and it picked up the install where i got locked out, finished the install and ran ifreload -a

my network came back online and i think im good to go.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!