I changed the networking for Proxmox now none of the VMs can be networked

Allspark

Jul 16, 2021
I had proxmox set up on my home network and configured several VMs. I took the box to my ISP to be co-located and modified the networking to the IP address range that was assigned to me. The Promox installation can be accessed remotely via that IP address I configured for it but when the VMs boot they get hung on the screen to start networking, fail and none of them can obtain and IP address or get online.

Clearly I've messed something up. Is there a KB specially tailored for this sort of thing (changing IP for Proxmox) or some insight as to what went wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks. I'm not terribly network savvy but I appreciate it. The VMs are Ubuntu Server 20.04 btw.

If you need any other specific information about this set up please let me know and I'll be happy to provide it.

This is what I modified in the network interfaces. IP numbers have been partially masked for security

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp42s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address xxx.xxx.xxx.26/29
gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.25
bridge-ports enp42s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

iface wlo1 inet manual

-----------------------

This is what it used to be

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp42s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.88/24
gateway 192.168.1.1
bridge-ports enp42s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

iface wlo1 inet manual

-----------------------------

I just noticed the "
# Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
# you're doing." part that I missed.

Anyway, thanks again for any help you can offer for me to fix my mistake.

Last edited:
On your home network you probably have a DHCP server running (most likely your internet/wireless hub) but now you are at the co-location your vm's will not be able to receive an automatically assigned IP address.

You will also likely need to modify your host to allow it to act as a router so that your VM's can reach the internet - see here
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration
(Section headed: Masquerading (NAT) with iptables)

Once this is done, you can either assign static IP's to your VM's or setup a VM to provide DHCP services for them.

On your home network you probably have a DHCP server running (most likely your internet/wireless hub) but now you are at the co-location your vm's will not be able to receive an automatically assigned IP address.

You will also likely need to modify your host to allow it to act as a router so that your VM's can reach the internet - see here
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration
(Section headed: Masquerading (NAT) with iptables)

Once this is done, you can either assign static IP's to your VM's or setup a VM to provide DHCP services for them.
Thanks. I got it working briefly so this is a good starting point for a more elegant/permanent solution.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!